Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TheNoLifeKing
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Really want to get into this, but I have a few concerns Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I really want to get into martial arts and I did take a karate class at my college which I enjoyed. The style was genbu-Kai. While taking the class, I did enjoy it, but I wasn't super dedicated to it. But then I saw a certain piece of media that actualy inspired me to really dedicate myself to it (no, it was not the karate kid). It had a very good message about what martial arts can give you and how it can help you grow.

My only issue is I can never seem to get myself to practice at home. I just think it's going to be too hard or I'll do the techniques wrong. Also, I simply do not know where to practice. The dojo of the style I'm studying is rather far, so I'll have to do it at home or something.

Another worry I have is that the classes I will take have rather large groups of people, so I'm worried that the lack of individual attention will hurt my progress.

And finally I'm mainly worried that ill just give up on it, because I tend to do that with things that are hard.

If I can get some advice from people who do this, that would be great.

Thank you.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me that you're really not all that interested in training.

You're looking fior any excuse to NOT train.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Akikazeninja
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ninjutsu Jujutsu Taijutsu Commando Krav Maga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:

Yeah don't take this harshly but the meaning behind martial arts being so difficult is that when you're progressing you feel accomplished, it wouldn't make you persevere to rank higher if you trained at a mcdojo and got handed belts like it was nothing so if you do decide to do it persevere and accomplish things.

TheNoLifeKing
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:

Well, I really want to do it, regardless of what you may think. I don't think I'm looking for excuses, but hey, maybe I am. All I know is is that I need to get over it if I wanna do it.

TheNoLifeKing
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akikazeninja wrote:
Montana wrote:

Yeah don't take this harshly but the meaning behind martial arts being so difficult is that when you're progressing you feel accomplished, it wouldn't make you persevere to rank higher if you trained at a mcdojo and got handed belts like it was nothing so if you do decide to do it persevere and accomplish things.

Nah, I get that. I never once said or expected belts to be handed out like candy, all I was doing was expressing a concern. A concern I have to take into my own hands to get over. I do want to do it, even if my original post may or may not have given that impression.

Akikazeninja
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNoLifeKing wrote:
Akikazeninja wrote:
Montana wrote:

Nah, I get that. I never once said or expected belts to be handed out like candy, all I was doing was expressing a concern. A concern I have to take into my own hands to get over. I do want to do it, even if my original post may or may not have given that impression.

I totally understand what you're saying, and if you genuinely do want to do it but don't aren't always wanting to be training at the dojo you're at then find another one Like you sadi about the big class, I train with my sensei and two other people so we pretty much have private classes and I love it so if you are looking for that then more power to ya I am sure you would love it, good luck finding one you love

Akikazeninja
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way welcome to Karateforums

TheNoLifeKing
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akikazeninja wrote:
TheNoLifeKing wrote:
Akikazeninja wrote:
Montana wrote:

I totally understand what you're saying, and if you genuinely do want to do it but don't aren't always wanting to be training at the dojo you're at then find another one Like you sadi about the big class, I train with my sensei and two other people so we pretty much have private classes and I love it so if you are looking for that then more power to ya I am sure you would love it, good luck finding one you love

Well, i can't practice at the dojo because the place we have class isn't a dedicated dojo, it's a dance class room. Because its at college. The dojo is in Santa Ana California.and because it IS a college class, it's probaly foolish of me to think they're will be alot of one on one stuff. However, I really like the sensei there. He's nice. The main dojo of the style being taught, like I said, is in Santa Ana, CA. which is probaly a 40 minute trip for me. Issue is I don't do freeways so well. I'm working up to them though, ha ha. Another thing is this class is very affordable, and even if I did have the cash for a smaller group sized dojo, I wouldn't even know where to find one of those and I'm taking a risk if the instructor not being a good teacher.

Oh, I forgot to say that next semester might be better because I will be a "returning student" meaning I get a hour dedicated to only the returning students, which should be smaller and more manageable. Sensei Dan breaks it up like this: first two hours dedicated mostly to new student with some stuff for returning students as well, and then the final hour is returning students only.

My issue was that, since I can't get to the actual dojo, I'm stuck practicing on my own at home. I was worried where I can actualy practice at home and if it's even possible to improve without others when I practice outside of class.

JCavin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of people that think the classes you attend should be used for teaching new material exclusively, leaving you to practice what you learned from the last class on your own.

You should find a closer dojo and give them a call. I've never seen a martial arts school that doesn't allow you to either sit and watch a class or participate in one before joining. Not to mention that they may have a better schedule that will allow you to train more frequently with them.

Also, man-up and practice at home. If you REALLY want to do it you will. Otherwise, you just like the IDEA of training in martial arts. Ultimately it is up to you to become self-disciplined. Anyone can try hard when someone is screaming at them to push themselves. It takes dedication to improve yourself when no one is looking.

TheNoLifeKing
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCavin wrote:
There are a lot of people that think the classes you attend should be used for teaching new material exclusively, leaving you to practice what you learned from the last class on your own.

You should find a closer dojo and give them a call. I've never seen a martial arts school that doesn't allow you to either sit and watch a class or participate in one before joining. Not to mention that they may have a better schedule that will allow you to train more frequently with them.

Also, man-up and practice at home. If you REALLY want to do it you will. Otherwise, you just like the IDEA of training in martial arts. Ultimately it is up to you to become self-disciplined. Anyone can try hard when someone is screaming at them to push themselves. It takes dedication to improve yourself when no one is looking.

But the way I have the class where the show me new stuff and I practice at home Isn't necessarily bad, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: