Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

pineapple
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Retaining Laggers Reply with quote

How much effort should be spent on attempting to retain students who are having difficulties grasping the techniques and feel like quitting?

busling
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ~2.5yrs Hung Suen Wing Chun. Little bit of Machado BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the corporate world 20% of staff love their job and work really hard, managers want to keep these people. 60% of staff do their job effectively and enjoy their job sometimes, managers want to get these people into the top 20%. Last 20% of people are either terrible at their job or hate it, managers want to get rid of these people.

In a Martial Arts school, wouldn't the bottom 20% of people just go away by themselves?

The Saint
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do ITF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a students perspective, how much homework should I do? Do I want to finish at the top, middle, or am I here because my parent drop me off at the door? You can offer an olive branch, but they have to be willing to accept it.

Squawman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Retaining laggers Reply with quote

Thats one of the oddest questions that I've seen here. It just sounds like your saying that if they just don't get it then I'm not going to try and teach them. As an instructor we have weekly meetings trying to make sure that nobody is left behind. One because yes they are paying our salary but also it's our job to show them that you have to keep trying even if it's hard. Think of yourself as a math teacher, if a kid doesn't get it are you going to just let them quit?

pineapple
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squawman, let me clarify my question. I will teach anyone who wants to learn no matter how their progress is going, but I'm asking how much effort do you make to convince them not to quit when they want to quit.

ladyj
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the students who truly want to quit just stop showing up without saying anything. However those that talk to me about quitting I encourage a great deal.....Due to the fact that usually they are struggling in some way. Be it a problem with another student, problem with a technique, a miscommunication, etc. We have an open door policy where a student can come in and ask any question or voice any complaint he/she feels is necessary and we attempt to remedy the situation to the satisfaction of all parties involved.

pineapple
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer, ladyj

Thanks!

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough question. If I have a student for any length of time and they want to quit I see that as a failure on my part and I try ( perhaps stoo hard ) to keep them.

Students get discouraged. When a student is lagging ( but still trying ) I look to see what I could be doing differently help that student progress.

I agree with ladyj that the ones who really want to quit generally just leave quietly. If a student is coming to class and working hard then I think that they do not want to quit and do everything I can to help them.

cartoon22
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Students come and go. It is very difficult to retain a student once they have decided that they want to quit.

As said before if they want to quit they will just stop turning up.

If they talk to you there is always a chance that they do not want to quit but they no long enjoy training.

Talk it through with them and see what they want from you and then you can tell them want you want from them during the class.

Everyone learns at different speed. I will always show someone somehing over and over again until they get what I am wanting them to learn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: