Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Rowdy Ronda Rousey (ESPN Films: Nine for IX Shorts) Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have seen Ronda Rousey discussed a lot here, much of it negative. As part of their Nine for IX Shorts series, ESPN Films just released "Rowdy Ronda Rousey," a 14 minute clip that talks about Rousey's background, her family pedigree in the arts, the reason behind her trash talking, her importance in bringing women to the UFC, etc. It features Rousey, her mom, Dana White and others.

I am not a UFC or MMA fan (nothing really against it, just not my thing), but I was intrigued by the clip, and I think it is a good watch (with an open mind): http://espn.go.com/espnw/w-in-action/nine-for-ix/shorts/rowdy-ronda-rousey

Thoughts?

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Patrick !!!
Will watch this in the morning.
To be honest, trash talkers lose points in my book so I'm not a fan. Your comment about the trash talking has piqued my interest !!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, trash talk is just something fighter have been doing for along time. It's a psychological side of war-fare; to get into the mind of ones opponent, therefore, in the MA, I deem it as something that can drastically upset Mizu No Kokoro [Mind like water] and Tsuki No Kokoro [Mind like the moon], and if successful, the opponent begins to walk down the path that you have tried to get your opponent to walk down before either of you step through the ropes or into the cage.

Also, trash talking is expected, and it does sell tickets.

I'm not a fan of it, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the link, Patrick, I will get to it this weekend.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only criticism of Rousey is that she is competing in a pretty shallow division. She is an impressive Judoka, and she has demonstrated all-range fighting capacity which is of a high quality. I would like to see her against someone of her own caliber; I just do not think we have seen her against someone who has made her dig deep into what she really has.

I do not like trash talking; but it is inevitably part of the sport. It has been since it's inception. The Gracie's basic boast was that their jujutsu is superior in real fights. Antonio Inoki wanted to prove the innate superiority of Pro-Wrestling to martial arts, an attitude that carried on in spirit in Shooto and Pancrase.

Those fighters who avoid it generally win more points in my book as I prefer the notion of respect in martial arts. However, MMA is a competitive professional sport where you need to get noticed. I cannot look down on an entertainer doing their job too much.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a scene from one of the Rocky 3 with Mr. T where Mickey, Rocky's trainer, finally tells Rocky that, while Rocky won all of those fights defending his title, "...against who?", Mickey reveals to Rocky that his opponents were hand picked. Having said that, and all fairness to Ronda Rousey, the women's division isn't as deep as the men.

Maybe she can fight in the men's division, after all, MA is MA; not gender based.

Whether this is the same for Rousey, I suppose that this will remain an assumption for her critics to determine for themselves, imho.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...Couldn't wait until this weekend, so, I watched the video link provided by Patrick, thanks Patrick for it.

I watched it with an open mind, and found that Ronda is like every other MA; dedicated to their MA betterment. Her skills can't be argued, in my opinion, and whether her opponent is male or female, she'll handle herself with the same determination that she's already exhibited.

Her signature armbar is akin to Wallace's left kicking arsenal....you know it's going to happen, however, what can you do?!? Will you be ready when it happens?!? Get caught in her armbar, you better already have an effective counter...or....tap out before your capsule pops.

Great video, imho!!

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video thanks Patrick!
To a certain degree her situation is reminiscent of Roy Jones Jr's - there just isn't enough competition to cement her legacy as a great fighter despite everything she's accomplished. I happen to believe that she's in fact THAT good but unless the UFC recruiters scare up better talent we'll never know !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: