Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Canadian77
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Sai muscles... Reply with quote

So I have progressed to the point in my karate where I am beginning some kobudo training. We worked for quite a while on Monday night on sai. I didn't find my muscles had any noticeable issues with it until the next day. Ow my shoulder blades!! I tried stretching by pushing my elbows back and my muscle by my shoulder blade charlie horsed!! My lower neck muscles are aching as well. I love the way that my karate has opened me up to a new world of muscles I didn't know could hurt or spasm, lol. It's a bit better today and I know it'll be fine with more practice and lots of stretching. But boy, that took me by surprise! Has anyone else experienced that?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've not experienced what you've experienced. I suppose I've been lucky in that area. I've experienced aching wrists at first, but that was because I was using a heavier sai that I should've been while I was a green belt kid, and I was over torqueing my wrists to get the darn thing where I wanted it to go. And, I've poked myself with the Tsume in my sides before, and not just once or twice.

Hey, I've also stabbed my right knee with a Kama because I stepped out with the wrong foot, and the Kama was stuck in my knee!! And let's forget about how many times I've rang my bell with the nunchaku!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kubodo!!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bob I only experienced some arm soreness from the bicep down. I would maybe take a look at how you are doing your sai exercises. Especially with new weapons we tend to overdo things (nunchaku was the big one for me and I had many a bruised knuckle because of it). Take some time to take to your teacher to see if anything is not quite what it is supposed to be. While soreness is often a sign that we are simply working a new muscle group, it can also be a sign that something is wrong.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Hey, I've also stabbed my right knee with a Kama because I stepped out with the wrong foot, and the Kama was stuck in my knee!! And let's forget about how many times I've rang my bell with the nunchaku!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kubodo!!

It wasn't my knee I nailed with the kama..IT WAS THE BOTTOM OF MY FOOT! I was doing a karate kata and thought I'd try it with a kama instead for fun. I did a snap kick to the side and down strike with the kama. bottom of my foot met the tip of the kama..BLED LIKE CRAZY!!! This was maybe 15 minutes before class started and I was laying on the fkloor with a roll of paper towels trying to stop the flood of blood as students came into the dojo.

Embarassed? Oh YEAH! lol

And yes, I've had many bonks on the head, knee, elbow, groin, shin and about everywhere else with the nunchauku.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Canadian77
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my OUCH!! I haven't actually seen the kama used in our dojo yet, although it's hanging on the wall. I'm thinking it is only for more advanced students. Yikes!

We have had a little taste of nunchaku, but only with foam practice ones. Technically it isn't my curriculum yet so it was more for just trying to get a sense of it. I don't like the way the foam doesn't have the right weight, though, so it makes it tough to do some things. Mind you, I tried doing a simple move with the real ones where you hold one end and catch the other, and have smashed my fingers a couple of times. So at least that doesn't hurt with the foam...lol.

Harlan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Matayoshi kobudo, beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sai muscles... Reply with quote

If your neck hurts, you are training improperly. Frozen muscles...over training.

Kobudo is a great way to study and practice good body movement and hojo undo, but bad movement gets you hurt.

Canadian77 wrote:
So I have progressed to the point in my karate where I am beginning some kobudo training. We worked for quite a while on Monday night on sai. I didn't find my muscles had any noticeable issues with it until the next day. Ow my shoulder blades!! I tried stretching by pushing my elbows back and my muscle by my shoulder blade charlie horsed!! My lower neck muscles are aching as well. I love the way that my karate has opened me up to a new world of muscles I didn't know could hurt or spasm, lol. It's a bit better today and I know it'll be fine with more practice and lots of stretching. But boy, that took me by surprise! Has anyone else experienced that?

Canadian77
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sai muscles... Reply with quote

Harlan wrote:
If your neck hurts, you are training improperly. Frozen muscles...over training.

Kobudo is a great way to study and practice good body movement and hojo undo, but bad movement gets you hurt.

Canadian77 wrote:

Thanks for the help. It wasn't so much my neck though - - more my shoulder blades in my back. But it is a lot better now. My muscles are getting the idea!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: