Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know good books, websites,videos for
Sanchin kata & the other breathing katas that relate to it?

My dojo has 1 kata class a week (Lots more emphasis on sparring and fighting techniques)
an it's about to change to a time that will make it even harder to attend. Any supplementary materials will make it a lot easier to retain what I learn.

Thanks,
OSU!

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm well if you want some books they are fairly easy to find for goju katas (which i assume you study because you ask about sanchin) I have a good book altough it is quite old and may be difficult to find or mabe not. it is called don warners traditional goju ryu karate...it has pics and explainations...altough the breathing may be hard to pick up on without instruction....The best thing to do would be to join a dojo the better fits you timetable or make your timetable fit your dojo....nothing is better and easyer then being instructed by someone train but cheack your local book store and see what you can find good luck!!

I AM CANADIAN

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The century books and videos are a rather good source of information on sanchin katas and katas of that sort.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks,

Congrats on your forum yellow belt leaf.
Actually I'm a Shidokan practitioner. Like Kyokushin, from which it is descended, we have kata from many different styles. I even think very highly of my kata sensei but now that we are past Heian 1-5 and Tekki we are moving to the Goju Ryu style katas and I am completely unfamiliar with this style.

Working on some extracurricular study. When you get over thirty five you need every edge you can get.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best reference on Sanchin I've seen is from Tsunami Video, MOrio Higanna's Goju Ryu Technical Series tape #2. It is all about Sanchin. The video first looks at the historical development of the kata, then dissects it. I don't know that one could learn the kata from the video, but it does increase one's understanding of the form.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool well good luck to you. You will very quickly recognize that sanchin definatly represents to Go(hard) portion of goju perhaps you will get the opertunity to study it's ju counterpart tensho aswelll. And thanks for the congrats on the yellow belt.

I AM CANADIAN

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are also a few different versions Sanchin kata. There is higashionna (higionna) sanchin, miyagi sanchin wich are simalar wiht the exception that miyagi sanchin is like tensho 3 steps foward then 3 back . higashonna sanchin is 3 steps foward turn 3 back and turn 1 foward but the punch and blocks are jsut aabout the same . then you also have the uechi ryu sanchin which is like the hiagashonna version wiht the exception it is donw with open hands and you also have a shito ryu version which has elbows in it .

Man thats alot of sanchins huh ? However there all jsut about the same wiht middle blocks and punches. however in different styles the breathing is done differently . most goju schools do it really heavy and in shito ryu we do the heavy breathing but not the real dynamic tension. and so on and so on . so afeter that my question is what version of sanchin do you do .
Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Bratt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few sites that can maybe help you with the Goju-Ryu Sanchin..
http://www2.anc.net/~gojuryu/sanchin.html
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Union/CombatKarateClub/sanchin.html
http://www.geocities.com/norwalkgoju/Katas/sanchin.htm
I hope this helped.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: