Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Sauna suits Reply with quote

I was shopping on the website of FUJI sports (they make judo/JJ gis), that I noticed they sell their own brand of sauna suit called the active move suit. I purchased it and have never been more SATISFIED! Im amazed on how much sweat I produced

****disclaimer**** you should always speak to your doctor before you change, start, or stop any part of your health plan, including physical activity or exercise. Reading health information online may be helpful, but it can not replace the professional diagnosis and treatment you might need from a qualified healthcare provider.

Last edited by Shojiko on Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with sauna suits is that clinical trials say that they only really shed water weight with the added risk of increased dehydration and hyperthermia. If you love them, that's great, just make sure you're keeping an eye on hydration and body temperature. For me, there is too much evidence against them to be worth it.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I shed enough water weight during a 1.5 hour workout WITHOUT the sauna suit. Generally by the end of the workout, I think my gi gains about 5 lbs, or so it feels.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
My issue with sauna suits is that clinical trials say that they only really shed water weight with the added risk of increased dehydration and hyperthermia. If you love them, that's great, just make sure you're keeping an eye on hydration and body temperature. For me, there is too much evidence against them to be worth it.

Agreed! Fighters use these suits specifically to shed water weight before a fight so they can make a lower weight class, and we've seen how dangerous weight-cutting can be. Sweating more does NOT equal burning more calories, but DOES increase your risk of overheating and becoming dehydrated.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the feedback. I modified the initial post, and added a health disclaimer as you are all correct, that there are risk involved with weight cutting via body heating methods.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to post an update:

I have trained rigorously with the sauna suit, but have made some critical mistakes and have learned from them.

MAKE SURE TO HYDRATE BEFORE AND AFTER USE

I made the mistake of only drinking a bottle of water water after the workout. I started to have increasing symptoms of anxiety and insomnia all of a sudden, originally thinking it was due to stress and working out late. After research, It so happens the brains production of melatonin gets affected by hydration. I since then bought hydration supplements (capsules, chewable,sprays) and use them hours before and after I use the suit. I even continue them the day after the workout and sleep/rest came back to normal.

I love the results the suit gives but it definitely needs to be used with EXTREME PRECAUTION.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you caught that earlier rather than later! Dehydration is no joke, I've seen people hospitalized over it (in that case, however, they were dehydrated because instead of water that almost exclusively drank Coca-Cola. In another case their drink of choice was SlimFast). Something that I do when I exercise, especially when I know it will be rigorous and ESPECIALLY when I do it outside in the Texas heat, is that make sure I hydrate a lot before I go to workout. I have found that prehydration is great prevention.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: