Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GS718Trek
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu/Judo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Sauna suits Reply with quote

I was shopping on the website of FUJI sports (they make judo/JJ gis), that I noticed they sell their own brand of sauna suit called the active move suit. I purchased it and have never been more SATISFIED! Im amazed on how much sweat I produced

****disclaimer**** you should always speak to your doctor before you change, start, or stop any part of your health plan, including physical activity or exercise. Reading health information online may be helpful, but it can not replace the professional diagnosis and treatment you might need from a qualified healthcare provider.

Last edited by GS718Trek on Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Mantis, Schola Saint George (HEMA)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with sauna suits is that clinical trials say that they only really shed water weight with the added risk of increased dehydration and hyperthermia. If you love them, that's great, just make sure you're keeping an eye on hydration and body temperature. For me, there is too much evidence against them to be worth it.

aurik
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I shed enough water weight during a 1.5 hour workout WITHOUT the sauna suit. Generally by the end of the workout, I think my gi gains about 5 lbs, or so it feels.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
My issue with sauna suits is that clinical trials say that they only really shed water weight with the added risk of increased dehydration and hyperthermia. If you love them, that's great, just make sure you're keeping an eye on hydration and body temperature. For me, there is too much evidence against them to be worth it.

Agreed! Fighters use these suits specifically to shed water weight before a fight so they can make a lower weight class, and we've seen how dangerous weight-cutting can be. Sweating more does NOT equal burning more calories, but DOES increase your risk of overheating and becoming dehydrated.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker, Adrian Rivera
Karate Obsession | Arizona Practical Karate

GS718Trek
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu/Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the feedback. I modified the initial post, and added a health disclaimer as you are all correct, that there are risk involved with weight cutting via body heating methods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: