Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chris luckcuck
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am currently working towards my 1Q grade and i have realised that i know very little of the backgrounds and diversity of Karate.

We study a 80%-20% mix (roughly) of Sei Ryu and Shotokan, but the grades are all Sei Ryu (S.R.K.A)

I have a few questions if anyone is feeling helpful :
What is Sei Ryu and how does it differ from the other forms ?

Any background or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Is it helpful to study different forms or just stick to one ?

Thanx

[ This Message was edited by: chris luckcuck on 2002-03-29 11:50 ]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can you tell us a little about what you are learning. And maybe a list of your katas?

chris luckcuck
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man,

For my next grading i've just started on Ba Sei Di (I haven't got a clue how you spell it, i have been told that it means "Enter The Fortress" or something, in english)

Starting with the basics, we do :
IghiBan
NeBan
SanBan
YonBan
GoBan
RokuBan
Then the main Katas are (definately not spelt right)
Pedan ShoDan
Pedan NeDan
Pedan SanDan
Pedan YonDan (Suprisingly)
Pedan GoDan -
Randori Ighino
Ishin &
Ba Sei Di - so far.
The rest of the time is taken up with pad work, sparring, patnered stuff and bag work.
We get a bit of practice on the mats doing throws and stuff but not alot.

I'm a webmaster at the moment and i want to set up a site for our club, when......if i get the time. That's what started me thinking about it and i realised i don't really know enough yet, I've only been training for 2 years.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: chris luckcuck on 2002-03-29 11:53 ]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With those names it is an Okinawan style. The Pinan katas are called Heian by Japanese styles. Bassai Dai (or Passai Dai) is also a standard kata. The one you are calling Ishin doesn't ring a bell though.

Does your school also include kobudo work?

chris luckcuck
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post just knowing the correct spelling of stuff helps me alot with search engines.

One of the better instructers has come back this week and he tells me that it is quite an obscure form and a mix of several different forms - including : Shotokan, Wado, Shorin Ryu, some other sei form and one or two moves taken from other forms.
Looking around the forums i don't recognise most of the kata names.

I'm not sure what Kobudo is so i don't know?

The Ishin kata is the second of the slightly more advanced katas for brown belt.

It starts off in Shiko Dachi with a Barai palm Hiraken type block(might be Shoteuke), Ushiro Empi then jodan palm strike to the left, the same again to the right then up into Nekoashi dachi and block jodan sukui uke and front foot maegeri chudan drop into deep kamaeto with a groin grasp and the other hand resting on your shoulder then switching to kokutsu dachi and changing and twisting hand positions, basically ripping their balls off and holding them in the air. the same is repeated to the right, then back up into Yoi with a knee block and same leg maegeri then spinning on 1 leg into the opposite yoi and Ushiro empi then 2 tension sukui uke blocks in some weird box stance. I've just realised how long this is going to take to write (and read). Anyway, then back leg maegeri into Kamade grasp and hizageri then spinning into Nekoashi Dachi with a Shuto block, then 2 tension Neon Nukite techniques (your last chance for a breather) then, with no pauses, back leg sokuto then turning to face to other corner you do a focused inward kentsui (like a sotouke block but you strike jodan instead) then a proper jodan kentsui, Kyten Kentsui, yokogeri jodan and turning the opposite way into deep Kamaeto blocking jujiuke gedan, Hiraken neck strike with the other hand covering your forehead, short pause into Kumade grasp, hizageri to the face, supported back break (i.e grabbing the belt with the right hand and ****a Empi to the lower back) and then into Shiko Dachi and throwing the opponent to the side and finally another tension cross fist technique in Yoi (probably for grabbing two canes and forcing their holders to the floor)

Sound familiar ?

It's a great kata, i really enjoy doing it, it's got a nice feel and flow to it that i haven't done justice to here.

-----

Woah, that's a lot of text. It's good practice though, for when i have to start describing the katas for my site.

Thanks man.

---------------------------------
The Swear word filter strikes again - SHlTA EMPI

[ This Message was edited by: chris luckcuck on 2002-04-02 16:01 ]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't ring a bell but it sounds like a really cool kata.

Kobudo is weapons study.

chris luckcuck
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, no we don't, not really. We do some training with nunchucks later on - after black belt.
I've started teaching myself abit and i've already got about 20 lumps on the back of my head to show for it.

Cheers
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: