Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BlackDragon777
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kung Fu, Karate, (Japanese and Korean Styles), Tai chi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: Self Defense or Looks? Reply with quote

I am just curious to see what you guys think. In the Kung fu I practice, my teacher as I said combines Karate with Kung fu and we don't learnmany "fancy" moves. We learn moves to take down the opponent very fast and easy. This is the way I like.

For example, You have a big strong guy.

#1, with front leg, kick to the groin, strike the eyes out with five fingers, punch to the groin and come up with a punch. This should eliminate the opponent, at least long enouph for you to get away. There is nothing fancy about the moves. He says as long as you learn trhough Karate and Kung fu how to defend yourself, fancy moves aren't important.

He does however teach us some fancy moves, but self defense moves come first. I love his philosiphy. These attacks are VERY easy and VERY fast. I am not interested in fancy moves, rather skills to eliminate an opponent.

My shihan use to teach Us Special Forces, and now trains all the police officers in my city. His moves and forms are made to easily and quickly take out the opponent which as I said I really enjoy. What do you guys think? Do you perfer "fancy" moves or are you the martial artist who just cares to learn how to take out an opponent quickly or both?

For myself, I enjoy both but I mostly enjoy learn quick and easy moves to take out an opponent. Thanks!!!!

GOD Bless you Always my Friends!!!!

fungku
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: gong fu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I prefer both.

Sometimes it's fun to put on shows.

I think training 'real' moves should come first and foremost, and they should be seperated. It should be clearly understood what is combat efficient/effective and what is not.

A lot of the 'fancy' moves are good to practice simply because of their fitness benefit. They may not be a 'combat-oriented' technique, but they can help improve agility, balance, power, speed, strength, accuracy, etc.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no interest in the fancy stuff personally. My head is cluttered enough already without sticking that extra stuff in there .

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a flash kinda guy, I tend to lean towards something that's effective and doesn't have much look to it.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you aren't planning a carreer in the show business, then stick what its effective.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small correction..
Unless you ARE planning a carreer in show business, then stick with the effective techniques.
sometimes i type so fast that i don't watch what im writing.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For self defense, effective is what's best. Fancy techniques are nice for training purposes.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fancy stuff ... love it, but I take care of the effective techniques first. The others are just to prove myself I can do artistic moves
Effectivness is our priority. Shotokan is quite boring in this apect, but I guess I cope with the situation. And when it comes to defend your person on the street it's important to do it well and powerful, not artistic

fungku
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: gong fu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this video from Kungfu.net

I liek the part where one of the guys tries a big spinning hook or whatever and the other guy justs grabs his leg and sends him on a trip.

This just shows make sure you know what you're doing. Like I said, keep your training seperate. If you want to do fancy stuff, because it looks cool and helps coordination, agility and balance, go ahead. Just remember when it comes to actual combat -> KISS - Keep it simple, stupid

Shaolin Fighter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-defense, looks can get you really hurt........
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: