Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shorty
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: shizentai?? Reply with quote

Help!!!

I recently purchased a book on Shotokan Karate kata. At the beginning of every kata the first instruction is shizentai. This is not a term used at my dojo, so I asked my Sensei what exactly this was. He said it means relaxed, natural position..I assumed since it is in a kata book then it has to do with kata. One of the other students said it has nothing to do with kata, it is instead the position you are in before sparring or grappling. My logical mind says if this doesn't have anything to do with kata then why is it listed in a kata book? I may have just answered my own question, but would still appreciate any input.

Thanks

alanseijas
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Shorinryu, Fut Sao

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess--- Maybe it means breathe?
The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shizentai or Yoi Dachi translates into "Natural or Ready Stance"

-Feet shoulder width apart
-Feet parallel to each other
-Hands on sides slightly (approx. 1 fist distance) forward and away from body
-Body straight
-Hips slightly tucked under

Your Sensei is right. It is the stance you should be in at the beginning of your kata, so it does have something to do with kata.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

alanseijas
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Shorinryu, Fut Sao

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo arigato goziamusu! Watashi wa Nihongo ga schoshe wacharimasu shoste schoshe hannashemasu, demo mada jozu ja arimasen.

I have been studying the Japanese language, but had never heard of that term before. Thanks for the translation!

Jaa matta!
The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been taught that the term shizentai meant ready stance, like gheinisch wrote.

Sheffield Steelers!

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shizentai is often transalted as "natural standing." The major idea being that one should be able to mount a defence from any poture in daily life. Yoi dachi simply represents the state from which the karateka reacts to an attack.

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shizentai is used in combination with Dachi in our school and means natural walking and is exactly as described by gheinisch.

This stance is not used so much in our school for mounting an attack but is often used as part of a block combination. For example Fuokogata Di Ni (sorry about the bad spelling), starts with a step out into Shizentai Dashi and a turn on your heals 90 degrees into another Shizentai Dashi with a high block.

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started reviewing some of my school's Katas in my head and there are a few others that seem to use this stance. The classic Fuokogata Ichi has a number of strikes in it that use this stance as well.

When sparring though most seem to use a cross between a Zenkuotso Dashi (fogive my spelling, but it is leaning forward stance) and a extra long Shizentai Dashi.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: