Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bhicks51388
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Shrink gi Reply with quote

Hello any tips on shrinking a dogi to fit without shrinking it too much 100% cotton?

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wash cold and air dry gives you minimum shrinkage. hot wash and hot dry give you maximum shrinkage.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy my gi's large, and wash them in hot water, and throw them in the dryer a few times. I Shrink to fit so I don't have to worry about accidentally shrinking in the future. It takes a bit of experimenting to get it right.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s all about shrinking it a little bit at a time. I’ll usually do a medium temperature wash and medium temperature dry. I’ll try it on after each wash & dry to see where it’s at. I’ll usually stop before it fits right so I have some room for that last little bit that typically occurs over the years.

When I get it to that ~ 90% point, I only wash cold and line dry afterward.

Note - I buy a full size larger than I need. My current favorite - Shureido K-11 (100% cotton) shrinks quite a bit until it settles in. Somehow, the magic number has been 4 warm wash and dry cycles with that gi (I own 2). Other brand gis I’ve owned have been less. The K-11 and a few other gis stopped shrinking after I started washing cold and line drying; one or two kept shrinking even though they were cold wash and line dry. I guess different gis behave differently.

Note 2 - Cotton/polyester blends won’t shrink nearly as much. I haven’t owned a blended gi since my first “free with signing up” gi, but every piece of blended or pure polyester clothing I’ve ever owned shrunk minimally if at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: