Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Severe Matburn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Team Snake Pit Submission Fighting (grappling and striking)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:33 am    Post subject: Size and Strength in Grappling Reply with quote

I have found that both size and strength is a serious advantage in grappling. However I have also found that grappling is a good example of how smaller ppl can dominate. It seems that large fighters can choose where they wanna be, specially if they have decent takedowns. I'm only 5'7" and 152lbs. So i'm pretty small. I'm in an adult class, so there are much bigger guys than me, including body builders ...i tried an arm lock from side mount on one of the body builders(yes, i can hold my own against the big dudes, as long as they aren't WAY more experienced than me) anyways, i just couldn't get it, he was TOO STRONG...it was a less reliable submission but it didn't work at all, and i think he swept me back into guard. I then proceded to choke him into submission with a guillotine. But that's not the point, chokes werk on everyone, but some locks require too much strength. I HATE being small and would much rather be a heavy weight than a lightweight however, i am also happy that i win against these guys. I mean this one guy with a judo background who stared Sambo at about the same time as me, has only beat me once with a choke, but i've beat him every other time with the same move(guillotine) and another really muscular guy i've only sparred once, who i got in an achilles lock...but everyone in my gym has reletively large muscles, aside from a couple, i'm prolly the 2nd weakest guy in the gym. Anyways, it sux being small, any of you have this problem?

and remember..."When in doubt, choke 'em out"!

"Nice punch!!!, now let's see how well you punch with a broken arm"

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO.. Im even Smaller than you are 5' 4" lol
All i can say is... train to be REALLy flexible, workout to be as strong as you can BUT most important, Work on your Techniques, learn Tricks, and try to out-smart your oponent, relax and think.

Freestyler
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 180lbs, I don't consider myself small or weak, but when I go to training, I think I'm small.

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im 5,9 and 140 and what i did to beat ppl much bigger than me was, i went to www.bjj.org and i learn a few techniques that were very basic but that were not taught at my school and i used those techniges against the big guys, work on your sweeps and attacks from the guard, and you should be fine.

also remember that if you positionally dominate these guys ,thats winning to me ,because you can strike from those stable positions. and some people just have bigger thresholds of pain
good luck

Venezolano
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, TKD, Karate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i preffer to roll with bigger guys, since big people are most susceptible to submissions
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: