Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rick E.
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: something i dislike Reply with quote

fgj

Last edited by Rick E. on Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:27 am; edited 2 times in total

telsun
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-ryu, Ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if he grabbed your arm you would "just" keep hitting him with your other hand? If he grabbed you from behind you would "just" pop his knee? LOL

No I 'm not taking the mick, I know where you're coming from. The "Just do this" thing gets up my nose too. All scenerio's are different and like you have said it is extremely difficult to predict how something is going to turn out, i.e you've hit your mate in the face/ kicked him in the groin before he grabs you. There is alot of it though. I expect even your sensei does it, you did it above.
We all tend to be bias towards our chosen style but our style often has weaknesses. You are practicing different arts, you striking, him grappling. He tied you up and you could not get out, wouldn't you like to learn to do that? You and your mate should be learning from one another. Drop your ego's and keep an open mind.
If he does not want to learn karate then albeit but don't be as ignorant yourself.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few run-ins with wrestlers before also, and I find they tend to be rather egotistical individuals.

One quick story I'd like to relate is when I had my shodan, a ex-state wrestling champ (20 years old) came into my sensei's dojo. This guy wasn't real tall, maybe 5'8-9 or so, but quite muscular. He had a real annoying attitude that gave everybody the impression he was going to wipe the floor with all of the other students. I couldn't hardly wait until this jerk was ready for his first sparring experience!

On that day, my sensei asked me if I would spar with "Steve". I smiled and said .."Oh yeah!" Steve got into his wrestling stance first thing, I stopped the contest for a moment and advised him that with his feet the way that they were, and his head leaning forward, he was wide upon for an attack. His replay was "I know what I'm doing", so I just said OK and started again.

The first thing I did was backfist him to the side of his head..easy! Then groin kicks, stomach kicks, jabs..pretty much anything and everything I tried on the guy consistently scored a hit.

He got pretty frustrated and lunged at my lead leg. Boy, he was QUICK! I didn't have time to move away, so I just locked my leg, lowered and lengthed my stance a bit, and proceeded to briskly beat him about the head, neck and back as he tried to muscle me down to the floor, which he never did..but would have eventually if we continued.

He stayed in and got his black belt, but this guy and I never say eye to eye, and bickered constantly. He was purely aggressuive in his approach to the art, and this is not an aggressive art form.

We are both still in the art, but I have no contact withg this guy. One of those that I just can't get along with, and would never agree with.

Rick E.
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.hj

Last edited by Rick E. on Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total

telsun
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-ryu, Ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please except my aplogies Rick E. you appear to be offended by my post.
It is nice to know that you have no ego to drop
Perhaps I did misinterpret your post, perhaps you misinterpeted mine..........

hajime
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrogance for anyone is a defence mechanism normally based upon delusion.
that your way of fighting is the best ever.

It's good to have confidence and belief in what you do but life can teach such people harsh lessons

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all about reaction. Good martil arts is that you do when you don't think. Anyone can come up with a game plan is slow motion but real karate just happens.

hajime
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G95champ wrote:
Its all about reaction. Good martil arts is that you do when you don't think. Anyone can come up with a game plan is slow motion but real karate just happens.

like any skilled person in anything it looks so easy but that's years of practise
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: