Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much, you want a mouthguard that is comfortable and gentle on your gums, and allows you to breathe. A good mouthguard will not restrict your breathing at all. However, in order to get such a quality of mouthguard, you'll pay upwards of $50, easily. You need to ask yourself how important mouth protection is to you. Some mouthguards (Like Wipps/Shock Doctor) actually claim to prevent brain damage, because of the way they position the jaw or something like that. So that's definitely a plus. However, most schools don't hit directly to the face anyway...the uber-mouthguards are for the kickboxing/shotokan people.
Like Red J said, if you have special dental needs, consult your dentist. Also, if either you or your daughter have braces, you will need a custom mouthguard. MAKE SURE IT'S A CUSTOM-FITTED ONE! The "football" types they give you that "go on without a fit" can actually do the opposite of their real job. They can bang against the gums painfully and cause bleeding.

Oh, the agonies of being a brace-faced martial artist

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

punkrocker115684
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kung Fu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah braces do get annoying

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy anything but Macho sparring gear. It simply fits the best and last the longest of all the brands i've used over the years.

martialartist1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: no style as style

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the equipment gear you buy should fit yourself comfortable and correctly or otherwise if equipment is worn incorrectly then injury or discomfort is likely to occur. the leather type is better quality than the plastic type. you wont sweat as much when wearing the leather type.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: