Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kle1n
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: sparring in kali/eskrima/arnis? Reply with quote

is there any sparring and are there championships in that sport?
thx

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there is sparring in FMA stickfighting. When sparring using live sticks, the fighters are armored up for protection. Or there are padded type eskrima sticks that you can purchase and use without having to be fully armored up. With the padded sticks, usually you wear a sparring helmet with a cage, and maybe some forearm pads. With the padded sticks, you won't run the risk of breaking bones, but you'd still feel the "sting" of the strike when it hits.

As far as tounaments, some of the major rated tourneys have a category for stickfighting. There is also a big tourney held in the Phillipines for all Eskrimadors, Arnisadors, and Kalisadors(don't know if this is proper terminology). If you search the internet, I'm sure you'll find some info of the tourneys.

Kaju_influenced
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo, ChoyLeeFutGungFu, Capoeira

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there are various sparring and tournaments however heavy equipment use is not the case with the dog brothers. My sifu is an original dog brother Philip(Sled Dog) Gelinas and their method of training is very down to earth especially these days quote " Higher conscious through harder contact" was their moto assaulting the body with tempered rattan sticks (Very painfull) check out Dog brothers 4 mo info.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: