Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GlowstarEP
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Sparring Technique Reply with quote

Hi i am a purple belt currently and have only sparred like 3 times at competition and one of which were with someone from my studio so it was continual clashing. I have lost every single one of my fights but i am determined to do better. I am looking for some pointers and techniques as well some good combinations. I am very flexible and have the most points currently for my age division in NCKA for form. So anything that can be of some help when it comes to sparring would be much appreciated.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find some good tips and info on competition/tournament sparring in the Sport Martial Art Forum .... do a search using that forum and using the search word "sparring".

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all...I am not dis'ng Shotokan nor my Sensiei. Itoo had the same trouble when I first started to spar in this style. I always got nailed by a front kick because I just couldn't get out of the back and forth straight line mode. We did a lot of linear one step sparring so that was my mindset. It wasn't until someone (from another style) explained to me that I didn't have to stand there and trade blows (clashing)...and didn't have to stay on "my side". Could this be your problem too? Try drills that force you to counter from different directions and use various angles of attack.
Good luck!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The linear one step sparring is used to work on timing, distance and reaction. It is used to help you lean to attack and defend properly and to prepare you for multiple attacks then free sparring. When we spar it is not a good idea to move like we do in drills (or you will get drilled ). We move around quite a bit and attack and defend at all angles and distances.

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, try to sidestep, change angles of attack, and keep moving. You'll improve with time so don't get discouraged.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: