Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

beaker
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come from a background of traditional karate and have been out of training for about 10 years. Recently I started up again at a new club - the only reason I didn't go back to my old club was that I've moved out of the area. I guess I'd describe the new club as more of a sport karate place - the emphasis is very much on fighting and there is very little kata practice. When basics are covered it is at random - at my old club we did them very thoroughly and in a specific order based on the syllabus.

The combat is quite heavy at the new place and there are people there trying to get into the England squad. They are good fighters but the majority have no interest in Kata and as such it is rarely covered. Traditional dojo etiquette is also not really part of this club - we do not stand in grade order, do not perform the formal bows and we do not ever recite the dojo kun.

When I was last training I was studying for the 1st Dan grading, for which there was a 1.5 hr written exam as well as the practical. At the new club there is no written exam and the practical syllabus is not exactly set and is instead chosen at the whim of the examiner. Someone told me it could be just a few minutes, or it could last a day depending on how he is feeling.

Personally I do not think this is what karate is all about. I prefer the tradition and the structure. At my old club we had a very thorough grounding in everything. I have been at the new club for a month, and visited my old club once when I was in the area. I learnt more at the session with my old instructor, to be honest.

What are people's thoughts on differing teaching styles?

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone teaches differently, everyone learns differently.

My physics teacher at school, I just cannot understand anything she explains. When I have tutoring off another teacher, it's so easy!

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Ryukyu1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you should look for another Dojo that caters more for what you are looking for.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thats not right! I would either tell the director how you feel about it or leave the school altogether.

Ryukyu1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are alot of clubs like this that are only there for the competition circuit, great for sparring but not much else!

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a school where it is very sport oriented. However, my Sensei says that you cannot be good at Kumite unless you do Kata. Kata gives you the balance necessary to be able to move fast and stay on your feet. A lot of people lack that. My dojo still maintains etiquette and our traditions, and we come first in all our comps whether it be Kata or Kumite. It is not hard to mix both and when you do, you get great results.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do alot of sport Karate but also have a solid balance with all other things like Kata, basics etc etc.

I personally feel that a good balance is required. I also am in a very traditional and tough school where traditional Japanese etiquette is applied exactly as it is in Japan.

I like the discipline.

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been many discussions, some heated, over the tradiontion and values of the martial arts. Kata and its importance can generate a lot of differing opinions.

There are so many schools, and so many different styles of schools. So many ways the thing style is handled it can be mind boggling.

Personally Beaker I agree with you in the importance of traditon including kata. A balanced apporoach to training. My school also has a written test for shodan.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well give me traditional anyday.

DragonKata
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dojo hold traditional values. We do not train for competition. We do kata, kumite, and circuit training. Also the basics.

I don't think that one teaching method is better than another; just that karate for sport should be taught differently than traditional karate.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: