Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

renketsu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Stepping from zenkutsu dachi (front stance) Reply with quote

Hi,

Just been reading an interesting debate about whether you should 'push' with your back leg or 'pull' with your front leg when stepping from zenkutsu dachi to zenkutsu dachi (like we all do in kihon/basics practise).

The debate also categorically states that doing both at the same time is impossible, which seems wrong to me! I am sure the book by Elmar Schmeisser states you go from an outside tension stance (zenkutsu) to an inside tension stance (similar to hangetsu) then back to an outside stance (zenkutsu) as you transition through the above stepping technique. This implies that you are pulling and pushing at once to bring your stance into an inside tension stance! (I know I could be well wrong though! )

In my simplified terms (for those who dont already know) - outside tension stance means pushing out with the knees and pulling in with the ankles. Inside tension stance is pulling in with the knees and pushing out through the ankles.

How do you move from one stance to the next (push/pull/both) and why?

Andy.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic! This same issue has recently come up at the TKD school that I am currently training at. Having a Shotokan background I have a similar undersanding of fumadashi and fumakoshi as you however this seems to be lacking in other styles-but maybe it's just a matter of teaching differences, theory, etc..I don't know. Anyway I feel that all movement-although termed basic-is very comlex and involves subtle yet important changes in flexion, center of gravity, etc., that shouldn't be discounted just because it takes years of training to appreciate them. A three step sequence of movement from one stance to the next eventually becomes one quick movement to the untrained eye as the practitioner develops this important skill through years of practice and development.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we take very deep stances in kata and practice, so pulling with front leg becomes necessary. However in other shorter stances, we will push with the rear leg - good topic!

Practise is the Key
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep your stances a strong deep foundation and keep your head moving the same level just imagine thiers a ceiling above your head push your front leg and make sure you don't see your big toe.

Kaiba dachi- Horse stance

hachiji dachi- Open-leg stance

Heisoku dachi- Informal attention stance

Kokutso dachi-back stance

Yoi-ready stance

Bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye see you later my friend ahhahah

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotokan we push.

Cheradenine
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Chidokan we push.. the lower your stance the more friction you have to the floor, and especially during basic exercises when trying to build a little muscle on the leg.
However, I have never really thought of pulling from the front leg as an option.. just something to be careful not to do.. I may experiment with it...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: