Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Dijita
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
..that doesn't hurt that bad. I doubt one shot would disable your opponent, unless he is a huge whimp. Or maybe I'm just really tough

I don't think it will completely disable your opponent... however it is very effective if you hit the right part of the bicep. Even a weak strike can make your arm kind of numb. All I'm saying is that if you do this a couple of times, theres a better chance of the person lowering their guard allowing you to kick the head.

Quote:
Try getting a partner, and lightly roundhouse the outside of their leg half way between the hip and the knee. Great fun. Abit like that?

We do A LOT of roundhouse kicks to this area in class, hard sometimes too. You can take quiet a bit of strikes to the leg before it starts to feel "deaden". It's one of our more common kicks used in class and tourneys. I'll admit though, the inside of your leg is quiet a lot more sensitive to kicks than the outside.

So what I'm saying is that it seems that the centre of your bicep is a very sensitive area on most people.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dijita wrote:
Quote:
..that doesn't hurt that bad. I doubt one shot would disable your opponent, unless he is a huge whimp. Or maybe I'm just really tough

I don't think it will completely disable your opponent... however it is very effective if you hit the right part of the bicep. Even a weak strike can make your arm kind of numb. All I'm saying is that if you do this a couple of times, theres a better chance of the person lowering their guard allowing you to kick the head.

Believe me if you hit the right spot on the bicep the arm will go numb!!!
I use a knife hand block to the bicep regularly on a young overly tetesteroned brown belt that needs to learn the meaning of the term "controlled" contact.
It really slows him down, after a couple of min. he just don't want to punch anymore.

Rich_2k3
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Trodai Karate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll give it a try in 2nights sparring.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Put a knife in your hand and try again

There are much better things to do with a knife.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

mmmm carved ham

If you've got a knife, touch anything and everything you can with it; that's what it's good at. If you are inside the middle upper arm (the bicept area) there is a loveley artery. Lower it's inside the elbow, and higher in the armpit.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attacking the bicep is a good technique if you can hit it right! It really makes your opponents arm numb and can give you that bit of an extra advantage to 'get in there'.
We usually attack with knife hand strike, but hammer fist also works pretty well.
It's a handy move to pull off for comps.

Sheffield Steelers!

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with jerry - use it with a knife in your hand. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. In the street, I want him down as fast as possible... don't have time for trying to hit the bicep. In a tournament, you have gloves. Also, punches can come pretty fast... you're focusing on a rather small area.

benkendrick
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okuno-Ryu Karate, MDK Tang Soo Do, Sohng Ahm TKD, Nippon Shorinji Kempo, Seibukan Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryLove wrote:
Quote:

mmmm carved ham

If you've got a knife, touch anything and everything you can with it; that's what it's good at. If you are inside the middle upper arm (the bicept area) there is a loveley artery. Lower it's inside the elbow, and higher in the armpit.

I had a sempai many years ago who used to love doing the one you mentioned that is on the lower part of the bicep inside the elbow. However he did it in combination with a spot just above the wrist on the outside. It looked like he was simply slapping both spots simultaneously. (though the bicep point was actually a knife-hand). Believe me it always hurt like hell. (I was one of his favorite uke's)

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
had a sempai many years ago who used to love doing the one you mentioned that is on the lower part of the bicep inside the elbow. However he did it in combination with a spot just above the wrist on the outside.

Those are points along the same meridian (that one extends up to yor jaw). If he did it right it shouldn't have hurt, it should have made you dizzy and disoriented.

I have no clue if I can pull that off in a fight, but with a willing partner, it's a nead demo of a pressure-point knockout.

Mc. Steve
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for slow response, but I said lightly coz I don't think it's a good idea for peeps to straight out wack it out of eachothers legs. This came from my limited experience, so you can just ignore it or whatever.

As to knifehand stuff, theres this spot on the thumb-side of the arm afew inches from the hand, which made my arm deaden abit.

I'de be willing but...ummm... I live in England! yeessss. that will do.

6th Kyu Wado Ryu
5th Gup Tang Soo Do
1st Dan Origami
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: