Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com! (KF Turns 23)
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Now the real fun begins...

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st kyu to Shodan in a few months? Sounds a bit rushed to me, well done but my old club was rushing students through to gain instructors and add to their numbers of senior grades. Be wary as they will do you no favours in rushing it.
The best way of checking your standard is to line up with a few other clubs, you will either slot straight in or stick out like a sore thumb.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mal103 wrote:
1st kyu to Shodan in a few months? Sounds a bit rushed to me, well done but my old club was rushing students through to gain instructors and add to their numbers of senior grades. Be wary as they will do you no favours in rushing it.
The best way of checking your standard is to line up with a few other clubs, you will either slot straight in or stick out like a sore thumb.

Solid post!!

Rushing students to add to the senior grade numbers seems to me that quality will suffer for the sake of quantity!!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
Congratulations!

Yes...Congrats; way to go!!

Karate_John
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
mal103 wrote:

Solid post!!

Rushing students to add to the senior grade numbers seems to me that quality will suffer for the sake of quantity!!

I agree whole hearty with you both, but fear not! The club itself is a branch of a larger organization, and is ran as a non-profit out of a high school, with a small adult class student body. so you get a lot of individual attention. I've been told our chapter, unlike the hombu dojo, et. al. does not usually use the last two kyu's. and the black belt test is usually 2-3 years after receiving brown belt (3ed kyu). I'm currently in my second year as a brown belt.

My feeling in the promotions are a bit political in nature, so we are not completely out ranked by our peers at the hombu dojo. us brown belt level students were given permission to join the black belt class at the hombu dojo, along with our active black belt student for supplemental training. (sadly it is a trip to attend)

It was a bit nerve wrecking the first time, being the only few brown belt's in attendance, But on the plus side I do know how we stand-up to the shodans from other schools in our system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: