Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

lara_ela
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Tae Kwon Do vs Hap Ki Do Reply with quote

hi!
I think I have no time to do both so I have to chose. I did Tae Kwon Do for some time but then got lazy.

could you please tell me about some differences of these two styles?
or if I would find time to do both would this be a good idea (or would I mix them up - is that bad at all?)

thanks a lot!!

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the classes and see what's going on. I think if one happens to be taught more completely than the other, the more complete one will fill in most of the blanks the less complete one could have offered.

If they're both being taught well I'd pick Hapkido hands down, but I'm biased .

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...since you have taken TKD (for some time you say) then you should know a bit about that.
Well although both are Korean martial arts, Hapkido is unique among the modern Korean martial arts in that it emphasizes deflection as opposed to forceful blocking. Hapkido is known for its extensive arsenal of joint-locks, throws and advanced kicking techniques.... Ki (internal energy) development exercises are commonly taught. Kicking and punching drills, self-defense applications with a partner are practiced and the advanced student of Hapkido commonly trains with various weapons including the sword, the staff, the short staff, and the cane.

You say lara_ela, you got lazy ... or bored or disinterested???
You cannot be lazy when training in martial arts ... maybe you need to try several classes in several different styles (Korean, Japanese, Chinese...) in order to find one that captures your interest .. entirely.

mobias
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shoto-Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where offensive techniques are concerned, like hand strikes and kicking, both styles employ pretty much the same techniques. Defensively, i think Hapkido has more to offer. Not only does it use the same conventional blocks as TKD but it also has extensive takedowns, joint locks, holds, sweeps and throws. I think Hapkido is quite a bit more versatile than TKD, but that is just my humble opinion.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please specify what style of tae kwon do you're talking about. (ITF, W.T.F, American tae kwon do, jhoon ree tae kwondo.) There are many different styles out there, with different fighting stratagies and tactics.

Well generally speaking, Hap ki do may be more defensive and TAe kwon do more offensive. However, now days it is common for a W.T.F school, I.T.F school, or any other tae kwon do style to accomodate joint-lock techniques into their system.

I would be careful when cross-trainning in different styles simultaneously, even if you're an experienced martial artist...YOu must also be careful choosing which two styles you decide to cross-train in.....I have cross-trained in two different styles. It messed up my rhythm in sparring and my reaction time, because of the difference in rules and tradegies of my two styles...In addition, you may be critisized by your two masters and clash between two conflicting views, on sparring strategies and tactics. Habits are hard to break.. If you intend on training in both styles, make sure you find a master who is open-minded about it..

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koreantiger81 wrote:
Please specify what style of tae kwon do you're talking about....There are many different styles out there, with different fighting stratagies and tactics...

True, you will find similarities within the Korean arts and even within the styles of TKD for that matter ... 'cept for tactics, strategies, forms(hyungs) and self defense techniques which may vary in their instruction.
It all depends on just what you are looking for and what is available to you in your area.

When article section is launched here soon you will see an article about the many styles within the style of TKD.

lara_ela
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have to confess: I have no idea which style it could be that is taught!
even in my former group I didn't hear about it...

perhaps it might help you that I'm from Austria and it could be that there is one specific style that is taught more or less everywhere in Austria when talking about TKD
I don't know!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah okay ... I would say ITF right guys? ITF headquarters are in Vienna but I do know that WTF is also practiced there in parts.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: