Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject: teaching for free(almost) Reply with quote

Do you or does anyone you know teach for free or almost free such as not making any personal profit? For example if any money generated is spent to maintain the school running(rent, basic utilities), buy training equipment, etc.

This is obviously less than ideal for anyone who wants to make their teaching primary income. But there must be others like myself who would be happy just to have a place to train themselves and share martial arts with others. Outdoor public places like parks are not an option because eventually, any decent training will require at least basic equipment or training tools that might not be practical to carry or use outdoors every time. Weather is also constantly an issue if it means not having access for months.

If you are or if you know such a teacher, what kind of location(assuming it is indoors and isn’t your own building)do you teach from and how did you find it? What sort of agreement (rent, membership, exchange of services etc) is there with the owner party for having access and using it? Maybe it’s somewhere uncommon or unexpected that is different from the obvious places one might look such as public sports gyms or community centre. Anyone’s ideas and experiences are most welcome. Hopefully someone out there has thought of some type of place to run a school that I have never did before.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I am like that. To be honest my class has been running at a lose for a little while, never wanted to put pressure on my passion by trying to make an income from it. I'm just happy doing karate and passing it onto others.

I'm friendly with an Aikido group in the area and they rent us their dojo for a decent rate.

I have also used space at my work to run a session for someone, (but this is a small space and only big enough for 1 on 1 sessions. The space was an empty office at our company, which they allowed me to turn into a gym, have various equipment in there but have recently moved a few things around to provide more floor space, mainly for myself and my own training, but I do have the option to run a private session there if needed.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach for free at the moment, just to get a base and some practice. It's only to friends and their kids, and I've been clear that if they invite anyone that those people will be paying. Right now, I teach out of my home or my friend's home. I've looked at some rec centers but right now I only have 3 students so I just keep it simple.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trained with a Uechi-Ryu club in San Jose that teaches for a very minimal fee. It's run out of a local youth center, and the instructors have full-time day jobs, so they don't need the money. It was a fun casual group of people who I learned quite a bit from.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

RJCKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashiryu Karatedo Kobujutsu, Yamaneryu Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find this topic to be interesting. I operate a not-for-profit club which means that surplus made goes back into the dojo - we use it to run community events, purchase equipment, and essentially run a 'full time' dojo similar to any other commercial facility, except, our focus is community and no profits can be drawn from the funds.

However, a few years ago we made the decision -- on the basis we wanted to be professional and align with how many other NFPs run -- to employ paid instructors. This meant that it rewarded them for their dedication, added responsibility that was needed to ensure we have consistency for our students, and also actually met expectations of our students (they thought people were paid) - especially me as the head instructor. I teach 15 hours a week and spend at least 10 hours a week on admin and did this while maintaining a FT job for a long time.

Now, I still maintain my FT job (which is a different business I own) but with being a paid instructor, this gives me added time to give to the dojo, and ultimately benefits them.

This has allowed us to grow into a fully-dedicated and purposely designed facility, meaning that we can do what we want, when we want, how we want. It gives us capacity to also preserve the cultural heritage and education my teachers have handed down. We do month-to-month fees (and we're very low - around 50% of our competitors), and no contracts.

I know it's not exactly what you asked, however, I feel passionate about the martial arts and often think as instructors we undervalue ourselves, and ultimately undervalue the impact of the industry we're in.

Best for the future.
1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For as long as I can remember, I've known of many of my students who teach/taught for free at various venues, most often at their church. Any and all of the money they/they'd earn went 100% back into supporting their school. Takes money to survive, but it doesn't take money to make money especially when every dollar earned doesn't go into the CI's pockets.

Even the most basics of necessities require a cash flow. After all, the students are reaping the benefits of the CI's knowledge, experience, and time.

I've even known of a few of my students that don't ask for a dime whatsoever. They've the space to hold classes, so that's exactly what they do...teach!! Those Ci's pay for everything that's needed out of their own pockets without batting an eyelash.

I commend them wholeheartedly for their dedication to their students and to upholding that which the floor requires.

Me. Well, I've ran a for-profit dojo and supply store forever and a day of which has been quite cost-effective. I've taught at my students' non-profit schools many, many times for free because I sincerely believe in what it is that they're doing. I have a soft spot.

I respect those CI's that run a non-profit school because they fulfill a very necessary need within their community.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original sensei charged a whopping $30/month for the first couple of years. He taught in his living room of a 1 bedroom duplex. When he bought a house he had a small single car garage that we insulated and tossed old carpets on the floor (it was in Montana and the winters are COOOOOLD!)

After a year or so he decided to teach for free because he had a good job and didn't need the money.

Our small class of about 15 students dropped the first month down to maybe 10, the next month down to about 7.

What we found out is that if people don't have anything invested ($$$) in their training, most put no value in it. Personally, I loved it because I was a poor college student! lol

I taught in many different locations, but my favorite was in my basement when I had full control, no rent, easy access, etc. I liked a small class and had around 15 students, which was good. Quality over quantity.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it can vary a lot depending on area and style plus what is expected.

As an example i pay a lot more for my bjj club than any other style but that is expected - usually it costs more than other styles but there is usually a lot more class availability and more often than not it is a full time instructor and people can train 7 days per week. I contrast that with my karate club which is a second activity for the instructor who does an excellent job of teaching 5 sessions a week and you pay as you go, with it being a lower headline number, though the actual per session prices are not that different to BJJ classes and BJJ can work out less if you train loads per week. Judo was the cheapest i found.

Where i am you typically would expect karate/judo/taekwondo to be taught in a sports hall or church hall for per class fees of £5-£8 with BJJ being in a BJJ gym and it being monthly fees of £50-£70 depending on planned attendance, with pay as you go for something like £10.

Most non-bjj or mma instructors here are teaching from passion and the costs are usually just to cover the hall rental and if any left over then they make something, but bjj and mma are more of a job/business for the coach.

GojuRyu Bahrain
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shotokan, Kobudo, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been teaching Goju Ryu Karate for free for about 10 years now. Jubilee is coming up this summer!! Initially I suggested a 1 dinar voluntary donation per class (2.6 USD) but that didn't last very long as I realized I'm doing it for fun anyways.

Echoing what others have written: Despite (or because) of the lack of cost we have remained a tiny group, a handful of people at a time. For that reason, and because Goju Ryu is mostly close quarter fighting, space was not a real issue.

Training venues:
It started out with my second living room - about 4 x 6 m; a second living room seems to be an Arabic gulf architecture thing that came in handy... Later we moved into a different compound and I crept my sessions into the compound's squash court, which was rarely used. Over the years I added puzzle mats, boxing bag, and two lockers for training tools.

By now I've firmly established 3 days to leave the mats out, then move them all away again, all 63 square meter of mats... good exercise. For any extra training session we set up and clear the court/dojo each time.

Finally: Why do I offer free training? Love and simplicity!
1) I'm doing it for myself: I love Karate, and teaching is just another level of learning.
2) This way I don't have to bother with the headache of a commercial license here.
3) I'm not committed to any curriculum / schedule / customer needs. Any idea can and will be explored. This is not limited to my ideas, btw.
4) Instead of a traditional class framework it is more a room for exchange and experimentation, and somewhat regularly friends visit and we cross train. This has entailed some drift in the art we practice, recently a lot of Muay Thai elements and a lot more full contact (gloves helmets shinpads)...

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it and do t want to offend anybody but I think teaching for free, although coming from a good place, it’s very bad for martial arts businesses. I used to teach for a city. The amount the city rec took was 5 dollars per student I got the rest. After years of teaching a guy came in wanting to teach for free. The city took advantage of this and charged 10 dollars for their benefit. When my numbers dipped from 37 to 19, they offered little support. I was confident in what I did and I wasn’t worried about competition but when I realized the people who promote my program were benefiting more somewhere else I saw what I problem this was for me.

Also, years later, when I had a guy who I consider a friend now, but was teaching in my karate studio, he was a black belt in Gracie jujitsu. As a matter fact, he’s out of the school here in Phoenix and still is which the UFC superstar Mackenzie Dern is out of. It’s an absolutely fantastic Brazilian jujitsu program.

He pointed out to me that Jiu jitsu is very strict in the community about charging to Littell and part of the reason that is is to hold a standard but the other reason is because the minute you start to compete pricewise and somebody goes 30 or $40 a month it ruins the art because people price compete and lowball. Fact of the matter is, most common potential students will go for the lower price.

On a personal level, there is nothing wrong with teaching for free and I mean absolutely nothing but that’s why my statement was. It is bad for martial arts businesses. Being a teacher of karate , I can testify that I see programs for as little as $35 a month in my area and this issue is widespread. Driving the price down and making it seem as though Karate is not worth paying the same as Brazilian jujitsu is a problem in my eyes. Something to consider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: