Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Tensho Kata Reply with quote

Does anyone do the 'soft' breathing kata, "Tensho"? Or is that a Goju Ryu kata only? I know it was taken from southern chinese styles to emphasise the 'Ju' or soft part of Goju and balance out the practice of Sanchin.
If so, do you notice the applications of movement from many of your katas in this one?
I feel the open-handed blocking sequence from this kata is great karate and very effective in self defense - opinions?

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently do not know this kata but have seen it run several times as well as some of the 5th dan's in the class know it. I have studied the history of it a little and know it was created by Miyagi Chojun. and is actually taken form the white crane system much like siafa. I have seen people including Higaonna Morio do it with the hard sanchin type breathing as well as the softer breathing. I look foward to one day learning this kata.
Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronryu wrote:
I I have seen people including Higaonna Morio do it with the hard sanchin type breathing as well as the softer breathing. I look foward to one day learning this kata.

Higoanna Sensei is conducting a seminar at our Dojo in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to train with him again. I actually just got back from training and we did Tensho and Sanshin a bunch to warm up for katas. Whew, those are exhausting!
Thanks for replying!

Kyokushin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Chito-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a kata in my style called Tensho. It's a Shodan kata. I haven't learned it yet so I don't know much of what it's like, but I do know that it is one of the Southern Kata, or the Kata that Mas Oyama learned from So Nei Chu. That was Goju-ryu style so I'm guessing it's the same.

Hmm, I should look in my kata book just for fun too and see about those techniques you mentioned.

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.
--- Mas. Oyama ---

mikS
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tensho Kata Reply with quote

Goju1 wrote:
Does anyone do the 'soft' breathing kata, "Tensho"? Or is that a Goju Ryu kata only? I know it was taken from southern chinese styles to emphasise the 'Ju' or soft part of Goju and balance out the practice of Sanchin.
If so, do you notice the applications of movement from many of your katas in this one?
I feel the open-handed blocking sequence from this kata is great karate and very effective in self defense - opinions?

Yeah, i practice shito ryu and i have learned this kata. Which part of the open handed blocking sequence are you talking about? The part in the middle or at the end?

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tensho Kata Reply with quote

mikS wrote:
Goju1 wrote:

Yeah, i practice shito ryu and i have learned this kata. Which part of the open handed blocking sequence are you talking about? The part in the middle or at the end?

At the end of the first three sequences, where you put your thumb and 4th finger together for an upward block, then downward, then thumb and middle finger together to block outwards, then towards the middle.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: