Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Testing A New Student's Fitness Level At The Beginning Reply with quote

I believe it is a good idea to have some kind of understanding of a new Student's fitness level by testing each individual on the onset.

As with all exercises fitting every one, seems to me to not be helpful, as aspect of fitness can differ from one person to the next, as one being flexible but weak while another stiff but strong.

Therefore prescribing different exercises for different students seems logical, to improve on their weaknesses earlier on.

From my understanding of the way martial arts was taught in the ancient past, was tailored to the student's strengths and weaknesses, PLUS enhancing and focusing on their natural abilities and qualities.

Would this be considered to be impractical to do in group teaching environments?

There is of course a reasoning for combining both strength and flexibility simultaneously for practicality reasons for all martial artists, such as in this video link

https://youtu.be/Xnu2iUhyIF4

As it seems to me that a curriculum for all might be bias towards one type of student than another, that helps or encourages one type of student shoot up through the ranks, while inhibiting and discouraging others.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with testing their fitness. You can't measure progress unless you can define where you started from. You can simply do tests like the bleep test or how many push ups, sit ups etc. a student can complete in one minute or the instructor can make an assessment based on how well the student copes with the exercises given normally in class.

As for tailoring the lesson, I think you can do it to a certain extent but only if its not to the detriment of other students.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DWx, thank you for your comments.

Curriculum aside, giving what a student needs, by first recognising their strengths and weakness and giving to those that need it, specific exercises to help build confidence and abilities towards becoming successful within the curriculum.

If having many students, then perhaps a special once a month focus class on flexibilty, or balance, or strength, or coordination, or speed, or agility...

As a student could be struggling in one aspect, so as to give, incentive specific exercises that are like home work/homeworkout and test the student, periodically, on improving qualities prescribed, that these improvements could count for something and go towards their next grading.

james001
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd post

Yes! I prefer a club who undestands the fitness level of a specific student. I believe, not all can cope up. There are also exercises that would work for someone, and doesn't work from the other one. I really never found an instructor who could prescribe different warm ups for students.

From the start, I know that martial arts was made to enhance student's current strength, and most especially weaknesses. It really involves involves mind arts if the student is weak physically.

Currently, on the instructor's end, I really do not find this viable, as there are not really many instructors in martial arts out there, especially in my area. I can find this possible if:

1. There are many instructors in a martial arts school
2. Increase in instructors would mean more budget should be allocated

In the end, basic warm ups should be the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: