Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Thai pads hurting my holder Reply with quote

So here is the problem: I came across some Everlast Thai pads at half the price they normally are, so I bought them. Prior to this I have never had anyone holding pads or mitts or anything for me, just bag work. My friend who holds the pads for me is constantly wearing out or in pain two minutes in because of the shock of my punches, round kicks are way worse on him. I thought that maybe I just needed a bigger dude to hold my pads, but my dad, who is almost twice my size, seems to have the same problem as my friend.

So I must pose several questions.

1) Do these pads just suck?

2) Is there some magical trick to not feeling the shock of a blow? Teh internets is failing me on this one.

3) Can you recommend any better Thai pads?

4) Does anyone have this same problem, whether from pads or boxing mitts?

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

moriniuk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Interested in all martial arts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The pads look very similar in design to other Thai pads, so I doubt that the problem is that they suck.

2. I've seen some very small Thai trainers hold pads for some big foreigners with powerful kicks. I would think that the problem is with the pad holder's technique. Have a look at how the Thai trainers do it on some You tube clips.

3. I'd recommend pads made by any of the Thai manufacturers. My favorites are Thaismai.

4. I've never had a problem.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriniuk wrote:
1. The pads look very similar in design to other Thai pads, so I doubt that the problem is that they suck.

2. I've seen some very small Thai trainers hold pads for some big foreigners with powerful kicks. I would think that the problem is with the pad holder's technique. Have a look at how the Thai trainers do it on some You tube clips.

3. I'd recommend pads made by any of the Thai manufacturers. My favorites are Thaismai.

4. I've never had a problem.

I'd agree with this, I've trained in Muay Thai and Knockdown Karate for more years than I care to mention.

Definately look at the clips on Youtube.

Your pad holder needs to experiment to find the best position for him which isn't dangerous for you either.

Ask your Instructor for guidance would be the best way forward

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thanks fellas. My holder is, well, holding them right, acording to a variety of youtube videos. The thing is, I don't have this problem when I hold for them, just when they for me.

I have seen plenty of little Thai fellows holding for big guys as well, I wonder if they don't just suck it up. Not that I am particularly large. Or at all, really.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would presume if your training partner is holding them "correct" maybe he just needs to condition his arms a bit more or for you to strike slightly softer until he gets used to it.

A "trick" I always use is to "push" into the strike, it takes the "bite" of the strike

hope it works well as a good trianing partner is awesome

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushing into the strike works well also knowing hold hold your shoulders. The most common mistake a beginner makes holding pads pads is that they try to stiffen up and absorb the shots. They must relax bump into the kicks or punches and roll with the shots some what.

moriniuk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Interested in all martial arts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what he ^ said.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sounds like they need to work on the right technique as others have already said. Just take it easy on them until they get it down. I've been training my wife to hold the pads for me and she's getting the feel for it fairly well.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take a bit for someone whose never held pads to get the hank of it. Also if they understand you techniques they would know how to approach pad holding better. I kinda know where you're coming from I only have one person in my dojo that can profiecntly work mitts for me.

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before hopping on here my partner figured out meeting the strikes on his own. I had been doing it naturally but didn't know to tell him, and didn't realize he wasn't doing it.

Thanks for the help, the problem is all cleared up now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: