Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiu Long Baguazhang teaches handgun combat at close and long range. Gunmanship has been a Japanese war art since the 1100s.

Merely aiming and pulling a trigger is not an art. Being able to fire off volleys and get consistent bullseyes, Zen-archer style, is an art. When you're talking about mobile gunfighting, such as with pistols, knowing how your enemy moves, knowing how and when to fire, where to move, and how to keep focus, is in itself an art.

I believe that, applied properly, gunfighting and sharpshooting can be very deep and powerful martial arts, not simply martial, but artistic as well.

Northren Ogre
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that a Canadian sniper providing cover for American Troops in Afganastan has a confirmed kill at 2430 meters! That breaks the previous record from Vietnam of 2200+ meters. Now tell me that dosen't take a little skill and dedication.

Here's a link to the story
http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/specials/troops.html

[ This Message was edited by: Northren Ogre on 2002-07-13 02:33 ]

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kyudo is a martial art, why not sharpshooting?

Don Gwinn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the article. Simply an amazing shot, and if you haven't tried at a "mere" 1,000 meters you probably don't realize just how impossible that shot was. Even so, it was apparently not a lucky shot; that team had been making extremely long shots very consistently.
Those sniper teams will be awarded, I think, the Bronze Star once the Canadian government gets their paperwork out of the way. They have some policy about giving their awards first, which is understandable.

As Smiley says, pulling a trigger may not be a martial art. However, shooting and HITTING, esp. in real life where movement, cover, malfunction clearances and reloads come into the equation, it's definitely a physical art in the same vein as most others.

Similarly, a soccer mom doing Tae Bo at the mall is not practicing a martial art--just throwing punches. Punching and hitting someone, with power, while moving, and while defending and evading. . . . that's definitely a martial art.

If you think shooting is just pulling a trigger, GO TO THE RANGE! Really! You will have fun. You will enjoy yourself. And even if you're not going to carry a gun yourself, you will be a better martial artist if you understand that a gun-wielding attacker cannot just jerk a trigger and win. It's a lot more than that, and just like if he punched you, if you can disrupt what he has to do then he'll miss.

http://www.thefiringline.com
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: