Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read it at least once - but many years have passed since then and this thread makes me want to start rereading it at once! (currently rereading "Zen in the martial arts" by Hyams)

Not a day without a kata

conrad665
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Ashihara Karate, Judo, Iaido

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
I’m in the middle of reading it. Considering Musashi’s reputation, it feels like a privilege being able read something that’s almost directly from him. It’s creating questions!

Why is it, that one of the greatest swordsman of all time preferred fighting with a sword in each hand, yet I’ve never seen or heard of any schools that teach that?

The Book of Five Rings has been at the top of my to-be-read list for ages. I will read it as soon as I have some free time. My iaido instructor always recommends this book to us. He told once that his style hasn't gained much popularity, because using two swords is not something ordinary people can do easily. If you are not the master of your two hands (and your brain lobes), it is easy to be killed on the battleground. As the common aim of the many ways of sword is to survive, one sword is the choice of the majority.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Book Of five rings is in the public domain, that can be read or listened to very easily.

The most important aspect or essence of this book is the warrior's spirit, as he points out, that many martial artists are just merchandising sales people for the most part, not my opinion but Myomoto's.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've read it several times over the years.

For me, right now, most of the value is the conceptual. For instance, the concept of leaning many things from one. On the face, he's talking about learning the way of strategy for many men from swordsmanship. From a modern perceptive, it's directly related to structuring the system of your teaching to link skills and fundamentals through multiple techniques to make learning and anchoring skills easier.

For example, advanced techniques in jiu jitsu are largely just fundamentals applied in unique ways. One of the first warm ups students learn is a stand and base line drill, or technical stand up, various names. Here's the thing, if you as an instructor present it right the student should see that what appears to be a complex deep half guard sweep is really just a stand and base applied from a position underneath the partner's hips with a very specific foot position. From one thing, 10,000.

It's just and example of one of the maxims from the book and it's application.

There is also specific application of tactical principles. The Fire Scroll is a treasure trove to anyone is a blade based art. We talked about this all the them in Kali, specifically his discussion to movement to the left and outside the primary attacking angle of a blade.

Good stuff all around. If you're taking the time to really sort out it's application your spending a ton of time dissecting your art, that's a good way to really begin to master it.

Highly recommend the book. Over and over again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: