Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rich_2k3
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Trodai Karate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: The essence of Karate Reply with quote

How would you sum up karate, what does karate mean to you, the physical aspects, the mental aspects and the purpose of it, is it just to get fitter or to learn to defend yourself or is it somthing deeper to you? what impact does karate have on you as a person, come on people lets sum this fantastic and dynamic piece of art up once and for all!

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does karate mean to me? Everything!

It's a form of self-defence, but it's also so much more than that. It's a way of life and a path to followed until I finally 'give up the ghost'.

I enjoy karate for many reasons, namely,
the physical training,
the "learning something new" side of it,
the interaction with other human beings,
the chance to discover things about myself and my character that karate training has helped to increase (such as discipline, endurance, etc),
the opportunity to learn self defence, plus many more reasons.

When I first started training, I took up karate as a way of learning self-defence and also because a friend had started. Now I know that, yes, karate is a way of learning self defence, but it is much more than than, something that it takes a lifetime's study to fully appreciate I think.

Good question Rich!

Sheffield Steelers!

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training. Staying fit. A great hobby.

I used to think that it means more...but...no, not really. It's a part of my life, but nowadays I keep it from infecting everything too much. It's a hobby - and hobbies are an important thing in our lives.

In our society, we don't need martial arts to teach us values or philosophies. We can access that knowledge via books, via internet and via other information channels. Our educational level is also generally higher than the founding fathers of karate did have - so, we have a better base for analyzing the gatheret knowledge.

Karate is a rich hobby. You can train and you can study the history. You can also - for curiosity - analyze the connected things - such as so called "philosophy" - to the modern philosophy.
Finland

Budderfly
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial Arts is a part of my life like breathing. I couldn't live without being a part of it somehow. My life would have something missing without it.

My school is my family. I'll help them out however I can and I know they would do the same for me.

I first went to get exercise and learn how to defend myself. Now I am closer to my Black Belt goal, I'm assisting the instructor with kids classes and I feel I am there to help pass the knowledge to other students. I have learnt so many habit building skills as well. It's really improved my life. This is a good question and I'd like to emphasize more, but I really need to sit down and marinate more on this.

bearqst
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a state of mind. I work as a computer network admin, I exercise at a gym 2 to 3 time a week and pratice when I can (also weekly if not daily).
Karate gives me a means to concentrate on my self and my life. It provides a means to evaluate my physical being as well as my inner self.

More than that I can not say..

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karate is a method of facing the events life sets in your path

MawashiGeri60
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A QUESTION TO ALL THE KARATEKAS WHO answered this forum questions . I was meaning to know .. how does karate do all of this .. i mean the only thing we do in karate is train exercise . thats it . basically . how does that work with ur life and aspects of confidence and your goals toward your future . people say so many things that they probably just making up .. let me know so i can change that thought . i need you to respond as soon as possible
OSU
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

hajime
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you get fit, learn how powerful your body can become, you adopt self control and awareness. you avoid street fights because they are beneath you

you have fun and make friends

there was no 'religious' aspect to Karate when I studied it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice karate because I like to. It is a good activity for me, as a computer programmer, to get physical a few nights a week. The self defense aspect is a big part, but I could say that I would still enjoy it, even without it. Let's face it, most of the things we learn in traditional karate would never work anyway. I've also aquired a few new friends as an added benefit.

I can say that karate is a part of my life, as I spend several hours a week doing it, but I wouldn't call it part of my being, or my essence or what have you. I don't get into any of the philosophical aspects of karate do, or budo or anything like that.

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smr: Excellent input.
Finland
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: