Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ai Hate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just began training in martial arts for around 4 months. i'm studying gojuryu karate and have never done anything before. so i really want to hear from the people around here what's the heart of the gojuryu karate?
i've learnt from some of the seniors that gojuryu mainly focuses around controling your breath in corresponding with your muscle. gojuryu katas such as sanchin and tensho really focuses on this principle. it's called "ibuki" if i remember
my sensei said that, for example, in shotokan, there's no stuff like this (muscle control and breathing)?
in short, what's the key to understanding (if not mastering) the heart of gojuryu karate?
some one enlighten me

ps. since this is my first official post, i'd just like to say "hello"

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ai Hate

First, welcome to the boards.

However, we do pratice this in Shotokan karate. We do not have the katas sanchin and tensho, but we do have a tension stance and tension kata, Hangetsu (which I believe is derived from Sanchin).

Breathing and muscle control is very VERY important is all forms of karate.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure we can discuss more of this further with the other members on the board.

Cya

Tobias

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Gojuryu martial artist - but I can tell you what I 'think' I know :

'Go' meaning hard or positive and 'ju' meaning soft of negative, goju ryu is i think meant to be a perfect harmony and balance of both hard and soft.

Another characteristic is meant to be ibuki, this I found on a website :

Another is Ibuki ('Ikibuki' - YO & IN), the famous breathing techniques which have been developed in a way to place the mind and body in harmony, uniting them for a more efficient person, and stimulating the bodies internal organs bringing you to a total state of awareness. Imagine with every block you inhale and with every strike you exhale. This would be soft to hard. Reverse the order of breathing and call it hard to soft. There are many other principles of application for Ikibuki and most synchronize breathing with body movement.

There is much more information @ this link

http://gojuryu.net/toc.htm

Hope this helps!

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s Hello!

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm goju so we'll chat. yes there is strong emphasis on your muscle control and breathing. That way you can focus your energy when you go to strike. There is also a large emphasis on kata. there are real life situations that have moves that can be applied in a fight. there is also an emphasis on improv. remeber that move patterns are not etched in stone and you need to be able to make use of your surroundings and attacker.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am into a Shotokan derivative, but I know many Goju students and I know all of the Kata. Its a wonderful school!!

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Ai Hate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-08 12:53, Joecooke007 wrote:
That way you can focus your energy when you go to strike
remeber that move patterns are not etched in stone and you need to be able to make use of your surroundings and attacker.

hmm.. yes yes.. that's what i was taught too. when performing any kata, even the simplest taikyoku, don't just do it, you have to feel it. it's like you have to make up imaginary components, and fight with them. that way, training the kata would prove the most effective..

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Taikyokyu katas are done by students in many different "styles" of karate. The foundations are very similar in most of the Japanese/Okinawan arts.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: