Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
As far as it working in the MA...well...sure it would work!! I'd have nothing to do with it, of course because I don't believe in passing every student at every Testing Cycle. Speaking quite frankly, to pass everyone on every Testing Cycle will be akin to having a score of students that couldn't defend themselves out of a wet paper sack, if their life depended on it.

Building false securities within students is an injustice, as well as it being cruel, act. And for what?? Money?? Increasing ones Student Body?? There's no valid reason to pass every student UNLESS every student earns it. The odds of that occurring are uncalled for, and for it occurring as a norm are inappropriate.

Sensei8, you hit the nail on the head. Couldn't have explained it better. This outlines the crazy equality agenda that is spreading like wild fire across this county. Everyone gets a trophy and no child left behind only achieves one thing... to hold back the above average and average students for the below average. The concept of winners and losers is foreign to these kids.

This, in my opinion does no service to the child as they will not be given this charity in the real world. It also creates what we have been seeing in the last years. These individuals come out of HS or College thinking they are deserving of top pay (equality after all, why not get what someone with 3 decades more experience gets, Right?) but doesn't want to do anything for it. No drive, no ambition. They just expect it because they have been trained to believe that it will be handed to them on a silver plate with no effort whatsoever.

Who ever thought this hair brain scheme up is a fool and has only weakened society in stead of lifting it to higher expectations. And teachers wonder why other countries are crushing us in education. Pretty simple if you ask me.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Who ever thought this hair brain scheme up is a fool and has only weakened society in stead of lifting it to higher expectations. And teachers wonder why other countries are crushing us in education. Pretty simple if you ask me.

That's the point though. China consistently scores better on global rankings using this teaching method. In fact the Shanghai school district itself is producing students of a higher caliber than those found in most of Europe, the US and other Western countries. East Asian teaching methods clearly have the edge on what we're used to over here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment#Results

They've got to be doing something right?

I think there is some misunderstanding on the "no child left behind" part of this teaching model. Rather than forcing kids through the grades and subject matter, if anything it asks that the teacher slows down and really makes sure everyone understands what is being taught and teaches it in smaller steps. Over here, when the kids reach the end of the 5th grade, they automatically go into 6th grade and start on 6th grade material whether or not they fully understand. In the Shanghai model, the idea is that they don't begin looking at say fractions or algebra or even multiplication until everyone has a thorough grasp on addition.

If you read the articles linked in the original post, some of the Western teachers were surprised at how slow the Shanghai students seemed to cover a topic. In the West we'd have our kids on more "advanced" topics already but in the Shanghai model there is a focus on making sure that the basics are fully understood. To bring this back to Karate, you'd have your students nail their kihon and Taikyoku kata first and really understand the moves inside and out, before moving on to more advanced material. You'd have them practice Taikyoku Shodan, and would really want them to have a solid understanding of 1 block, 1 attack and 1 stance before thinking about introducing further material. This foundation is slower to build but is more thorough, and as a result, stronger.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:

That's the point though. China consistently scores better on global rankings using this teaching method. In fact the Shanghai school district itself is producing students of a higher caliber than those found in most of Europe, the US and other Western countries. East Asian teaching methods clearly have the edge on what we're used to over here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment#Results

They've got to be doing something right?

I think there is some misunderstanding on the "no child left behind" part of this teaching model. Rather than forcing kids through the grades and subject matter, if anything it asks that the teacher slows down and really makes sure everyone understands what is being taught and teaches it in smaller steps. Over here, when the kids reach the end of the 5th grade, they automatically go into 6th grade and start on 6th grade material whether or not they fully understand. In the Shanghai model, the idea is that they don't begin looking at say fractions or algebra or even multiplication until everyone has a thorough grasp on addition.

If you read the articles linked in the original post, some of the Western teachers were surprised at how slow the Shanghai students seemed to cover a topic. In the West we'd have our kids on more "advanced" topics already but in the Shanghai model there is a focus on making sure that the basics are fully understood. To bring this back to Karate, you'd have your students nail their kihon and Taikyoku kata first and really understand the moves inside and out, before moving on to more advanced material. You'd have them practice Taikyoku Shodan, and would really want them to have a solid understanding of 1 block, 1 attack and 1 stance before thinking about introducing further material. This foundation is slower to build but is more thorough, and as a result, stronger.

When it comes to education as a whole, most Asian countries have it ingrained in their culture. The might move on as groups, but the kids also study night and day. Many children in the US never even bring homework home. They are given time to do "homework" during class. That being said, this Shanghai approach may work quite well if the students were to train a lot outside of class.

As far as "No Child Left Behind" is concerned, I could explain were the hangup is, but that's getting political. Feel free to PM me, if you're interested in hearing what I have to say.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question needs to be asked, how would you feel, being the child left behind?

Perhaps helping those weaker or less intelligent is more important than being on top.

Kids that do well in school unusually have private tutoring at home also; maybe if this tutoring was made available for the weakest link, it might even out the imbalance.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:

When it comes to education as a whole, most Asian countries have it ingrained in their culture. The might move on as groups, but the kids also study night and day. Many children in the US never even bring homework home. They are given time to do "homework" during class. That being said, this Shanghai approach may work quite well if the students were to train a lot outside of class.

As far as "No Child Left Behind" is concerned, I could explain were the hangup is, but that's getting political. Feel free to PM me, if you're interested in hearing what I have to say.

I'm guessing you're talking about the NCLB Act that you had in America? I don't really know much about that and how it was implemented. That said, I think most martial arts instructor expect their students to practice outside of class too right?

To be honest I have no idea whether this type of teaching method works in MA, just seems like there are some positives I could see being implemented.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: