Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

. The only true test is applying it to the street and I hope that I never have that opportunity.

Very true, but i thing with my young generation means nothing, and that it is the black belt which is considered at being mastery and a ultimate fighter, which is so misunderstood,
which i probably feel is the main reason why the very useless martial arts (im not gonna name any ) are having so much students enroling just so you can earn your black belt in the odd 16months
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never went to a "proper" martial arts school.
my first experience with kung fu was with my grand dad.
now i'm learning in my uncle's garage with mainly family and a few family friends.
we don't have a belt system.
all we know is who has been learning longer, who works harder and who is better.

Tichang
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In traditional kung fu the sash is worn for the purpose of training. When practising form the student puts an heavy emphasis on his breathing which in turn can put a lot of pressure on the abdomen, the sash works the same way as a weightlifters belt were it gives support to this area and the lower back.
The belt in karate is for holding your gi together. Traditionally, there was no formal ranking system.

Tichang

Chuang Tzi.

Coonaxus
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what they told me too when I first started Hung Ga. About the sash supporting the back

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine holds up my pants. May sound like a joke, but they are traditional pants (they look like one of those weight watcher ads where the guy lost 200lbs and is wearing his old pants), and must be folded then held up by the sash. Bad folding or a bad tie job on the belt, your pants are round your ankles after a couple kicks.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so from what i am hearing, there is no real way in distingquishing yourself from a person who is more expeirenced, so is it just the person who can perform the arts better whos more respected and is considered higher then lower performance martial artists???

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Mo_Tseu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI all !!!!
I'm practicing Wing Chun Kung Fu and we don't wear belts. I know for sure that Wing Chun master in the region of Ottawa in Canada are very conservative and don't want anybody in their classes. They don't want to spread the art by trough stupid people who would fight anybody and abuse of their power. So in here, they just get a small group of 'smart' people and train a good time. Then, since they are not in a school, they don't need a belt. At the beginig, I was judging this like to be stupid, but now that it's been one year that I train with him, I don't think that belts are necessary. I think that belt are for the people who want to be proud of them and say "I'm better than you because.....", you know wath I mean , Don't you......
I' m waiting a feed back on this one!!!!!

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand what you are saying mo,
buts how you distingquish oneself to another in terms of experience is what i am questioning, i know for a fact that wing chun doesnt incorporate belts, but i understand that there some sort of ranking system, or a progression routine where you go from beginner - intermediate - expert??

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

Mo_Tseu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ad,
From my point of view, I don't think it's important to distinguish yourself from another.
Peoples just notice it by the way you do your training and your moves.

Lau gar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lau gar kung fu
white(earnt)
blue
orange
green
yellow
purple
brown
black
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: