Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

van_damme
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey..i go kung fu but i want to master kicks.Kung fu is all about speed,punches kicks,blocks inner strength and its great..and to be the best i want to do TKD,i am a fan of kicks and in a fight i would use kicks instead of punches and all i want to do is kicks.So let me get this right..TKD is mainly kicks?

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD is for sport and hobby mostly. It is not for self defense, although it could be used that way with a high level person.

There are many fancy kicks, but they are not practical or advisible in a street fight or practical application...

I don't know much about Kung Fu, but I went into TKD for a hobby and entertainment not Self Defense..

It is mainly kicks yes, but some schools are starting to teach punching for tournaments... since you can get more punches off at close range than kicks..

[ This Message was edited by: TKD_McGee on 2002-05-15 13:09 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, most TKD schools teach mostly kicks. Fancy ones at that. But my school teaches everything (kicks, hand techs, self defense, ect). So it depends on the school you pick. Go watch classes of several schools to see what you like best.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love working with TKD people who've only sparred inside their school, especially when the instructor doesn't place much importance on punching. Block one kick, step in, and play.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Eric-TKD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: I.T.F. TKD

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tae Kwon-Do is definitely about the kicks. How much so depends on the particular school, though. My school focuses on kicks but also incorporates a lot of punch and self-defense techniques.

If you want fancy kicks (spinning, jumping, etc.) along with more pracical stuff, TKD is the martial art for you. And, at least in my school, it is definitely geared towards self defense, and not the sport aspect. That all depends on the school.

Anyway, heh, yes TKD has plenty o' kicks, and it'll certainly help you focus on those techniques.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

van_damme
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!!..thx guys...i just cant wait..I LOVE KICKS!!!!!!!!!!

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD_mcgee, if you don't think TKD works, you dont want Taezy on this thread.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..YOu want to be the best?you're a fan of kicks? You will only use kicks instead of punches in a fight? Good luck! I'm sorry but I think you'll be at a great disadvantage if you only use kicks in a fight. There are 3 zones in fighting. There's the kicking zone, punching zone, and the grappling zone. What will you do when your opponent gets too close to you so that you can't kick? You're toast if you commit yourself to do only kicks!

To be the best, you need to be able to fight in all 3 zones(kicking, punching, grappling). You cannot always keep your opponent in your kicking zone, like a goalie cannot block all shots. Don't forget about your Kyungfu skills. Although there are many different types of Tae kwon do styles out there, the two main ones are the I.T.F and the W.T.F. I recommend you do I.T.F, since the I.T.F allows you to score with your kicks and HANDS.

I wouldn't recommend doing a separate martial art for kicks or punches. (kyungfu for punching, and W.T.F for kicking. ) By doing W.T.F, you would have to discipline yourself and develop the habit not to punch to the face. Why do W.T.F? Do I.T.F so you can kick and punch at the same time. This is just my suggestion.

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-05-31 15:58 ]

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yepperz, TKD gots lotsa kicks. One reason why I started, because I love their fancy kicks. But my school also teaches punching, blocking, wristlocks, and some other self defense stuff, too. Hmm, I must be the only person here that believes TKD is alright for self defense, as long as you stick to the basics.. Coz come on, if you look at a TKD roundhouse kick, and another roundhouse kick, or a TKD front kick or something like a kickboxing front kick, they are almost exactly the same. as long as you stick to the basics in a streetfight i dun see what's wrong.. Plus if you can kick high well, then you can kick low very well.

i feel like I'm talking to myself.. well i'm bored because I don't have school today but i can't go anywhere cuz of my stupid ankle. oh look im talking to myself again.

eh.. ignore me, guys.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD_MCGEe "TKD is for sport and hobby mostly. It is not for self defense,"

I agree with Hiya that Tae kwon do can be used for self-defense. It also does depend on the system of tae kwon do as some systems concentrate soley on Kicking (w.t.f) while others concentrate on having a balance of kicks and punches.(I.T.F). The I.T.F does also include joint lock techniques..I guess it depends on the school..

Yes, Tae kwon do does have a lot of fancy kicks which may not be practical to use on the street. I wouldn't do a high kick to the face if a guy is 6 feet tall. It's too risky to fall down and get grappled to the ground. (IN tournaments, i would kick to the face, since the rules do not permit grappling.) So what's the purpose of all these high fancy aerial kicks in Tae kwon do? Is it just for show? just for fun? Partly yes, but like hiya said, "if you can kick high well, then you can kick low very well". Doing all these fancy kicks does have a purpose..It helps you develop flexibility, coordination, control. It helps you understand distance, speed, power.
so doing fancy kicks is not at all useful! Just know when and not to use them.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: