Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Fox_NFLs_GG
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Uechi-Ryu, RyuKyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Not sure id feel too happy using that advert Fox_NFLs_GG; each to his own, just guess i wouldnt want to draw attention in that way....
But then again - if your school needs the extra students....

It isn't negative, you are offering something positive to prevent a negative. Plus it will help bring in new students during a dead time of the year. I have used this one and had good reaction to it. You have to use different stratigies for different times of the year.

chiflow
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Jukado, Shotokan, Modern Arnis

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess to clarify my suggestion about "t-shirts"
It has been my experience that some people are not comfortable wearing Gi's in public. I know I know some say wear the uniform with pride theres nothing to be ashamed about.

Well for those running a business it is important to consider all the needs of your students and even the not so bold ones.
Some schools do not get into the Dojo T-shirts

as far as outings:
you cant really wear a GI to pizza hut
But when people see a group of guys and gals in like T-shirts there gonna look to see who that group is. When they see a class having fun and being part of a group. A precentage of people will say to themselves i would like something like that..And those people that always thought about checking out a Dojo they will say to themselves.. wow they seem like a group of nice people. maybe i should check them out... great advertisement
and if you form bonds outside the dojo
you have deeper training partners and longer lasting students

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the book guerrilla marketing. It will help you a lot. Jay conrad levinson writes them. Also look up dan gallapoo.

kenpo_fighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin Karate, Tracy's Kenpo, Aikido, Iaido, Grappling

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiflow wrote:
Dear Armbar,

I would suggest getting out into public and do some outdoors activities
If one of your students gets promoted, do a dutch pizza party somewhere

Work out in the park.
Go for walks or jogging with some core students
Always wearing your Schools t-shirts

take advantage of free advertisement such as bumber stickers
and regular stickers for the little ones
give the stickers out as rewards (kids love stickers)

I wish you the best of fortune

p.s. If you do b-days partys make sure you cover your back legally
make parents sign wavers as needed
and i have seen many dojos do very successful after school camps or summer camps,, parents love them!!

the yellow pages are a great idea, when i was younger and i moved to a new town that is where i always started

hello, armbar.

if it helps, i'm in almost the very same situation as yourself. my sensei will be relocating to the other side of the state and naming me as his sucessor for this area. after his departure, i will inherit his old students, giving me a student base to work off of. body of about 16 or so students.

in addition to having to see off one of the very few men i admire and respect, our old dojo has proven unsuitable to to keep training in and has put us out in the market in search of a new facility to call home. we've already found a new location and are in negotiations for a new lease.

in respects to your situation specifically, i, too, must deal with keeping the school afloat and have come up with very similar ideas to ChiFlow's suggestions.

1. Ad in the phone book. If you're not there, you don't exist.
2. Website. try to get a good website up and running and make sure it's EXACTLY what you want.
3. Outdoor Venues. i will be hooking up with the local flea market that comes through town about once a month. reserve an outside booth (especially for summer), run demonstrations all day; kata, weapons demonstrations, kumite exhibitions. in addition to that, make a video of your dojo, style, classes, etc. and have it running all day. also, sell equipment from you dojo. ie., sparring equipment, toy weapons, t-shirts, patches, AND BE TAKING APPLICANTS/STUDENTS ALL DAY. offer a free group or private lesson to bait them.
4. go to shopping centers and same thing in #3.
5. flyers and brochures at grocery stores, gas stations, high schools, elem. schools, colleges, community centers, etc.
6. eventually, start hosting tournaments & making t.v. & radio spots.

i will be using these marketing methods myself am confidant they will be effective. i hope they bring sucess.

yours in the arts,

kenpo fighter

PBI
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shindo Jinen-Ryu, Shito-Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox_NFLs_GG wrote:
Sam wrote:
Not sure id feel too happy using that advert Fox_NFLs_GG; each to his own, just guess i wouldnt want to draw attention in that way....
But then again - if your school needs the extra students....

It isn't negative, you are offering something positive to prevent a negative. Plus it will help bring in new students during a dead time of the year. I have used this one and had good reaction to it. You have to use different stratigies for different times of the year.

Not trying to gang up, but I think I have the same reaction. It comes across - at least to me - as targeting people's fears, and I think it can also lead to false expectations on the part of the parents regarding what their kids will be learning and what they will be able to accomplish with it. To each his own, however; just my two one-hundredths of a dollar!

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offer a 2 week free trial, and work with businesses around you to allow you to put up info boxes, etc.

When you have a movie such as "Unleashed", or other MA themed movie, ask at the theater if you can do a demo on the opening or other busy weekend. Take information flyers.

Stand outside your school and talk with everyone that walks by. You'll feel awkward at first, but keep at it.

Work with local police/child advocacy groups to possibly do self defense seminars. Women's groups (Realtors especially, although there are both men and women) respond really well to this.

YMCA, and other similar organizations have summer camps, offer to host a class once or twice a week for the camp.

Aodhan

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

scottnshelly
KF VIP

Styles: My Style

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the towns in my area have a “[insert name of town here] Days Festival” where they block off the main street and have activities for the kids and stuff. Different towns do different things. One has a mini carnival, one has vendor stands everywhere, and some have parades. See if your surrounding towns have this. One of my good friends had a small school in one of these types of towns. All of his peers (Instructors from other schools) went down with him to this festival and we choreographed a little demonstration with weapons, self defense and some light sparring. Then we all ran over to the dojo to open the doors and sign people up. That worked out really well.
I’ve also marched in a parade holding a banner, done open house type events with free refreshments and done demonstrations at schools.

Sam
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF TKD, Wu Shu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt saying it was negative compaigning - just i guess our media isnt the same in the UK.... i just prefer to draw people for different reasons... Just my personal belief... not saying better or worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: