Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

inyctrotter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: TKD kicking speed Reply with quote

Does any one kno any excersices, methods and etc. that will help out the speed of my kicks in TKD? Thanks....

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leg stretches
open-wide horse stances

try and not to over do your stretching-stretch as far as the limit but dont pull to hard.-start off slow-
Represenitive for Paltalk.com
*-*-*-*-Mouser (Palhelp)*-*-*-*-*-

sk0t
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just workout your legs, and workout your upperbody, and get your hips strong, and when you turn your hips into a solid kick it will be like a sledgehammer

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

OldRookie
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do (Choong Sil)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicking drills with ankle weights maybe....? I need to pick my speed up also. A brown belt @ my Dojang told me he just did stationary drills;round kicks,side kicks,ect. after warming up & stretching. He said he does 500 kicks a night.....think I'll try it but maybe not quite THAT many to start.

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you desire to do 500 kicks per night - make sure you stretch before you entend your leg muscles.
Dont over due yourself.

500 kicks w/o stretching can cause some bad leg injuries
Represenitive for Paltalk.com
*-*-*-*-Mouser (Palhelp)*-*-*-*-*-

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take Bruce Lee for an example.....
Bruce Lee realized that a heavy muscular build can slow you down. He trained for speed. His speed was definitely beyond average. Use every opportunity to increase your own reflexive speed.

For maximum speed and efficiency, you must remain relaxed during all movements. Most novice fighters have a tendency to try too hard and rely on force or muscle in delivering a blow. Experienced fighters, however, generally learn to avoid this problem and rely on method over muscle. Muscular tension acts as a brake and causes friction during movement, thereby reducing the speed and power of your strikes. The only time your muscles should tighten while striking is the instant they impact the target.
Although conditioning drills can develop the fast-twitch nerves and muscles needed for speed, your speed potential will still be limited if you do not have proper muscle tone.
Not only will heavy (bulky) muscle slow your strikes down but so will excessive "fat" YUK!
Proper nutrition, cardio training, and balanced muscle development help streamline your physique and provide maximum speed in your movements.
Eliminate unnecessary movement and energy, focus on method rather than muscle.
There are a variety of speed and reaction drills you can work on with a partner.
Doing kicking with any speed while wearing ankle weights, is very damaging to the knees, so it is best avoided.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes good sense, Kickchick. I know iny was looking for answers, but it will help me also.

P.S. I have been working on the combo's you gave me They are working. Thanks

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fast kicks i do several things. for height and to limit resistance of my kicks i stretch regularly.

I do recommend doing your kicks at 1/2 and 1/4 speed with ankle weights on as this strengthens just the right muscles (never snap out your kicks or over extend even without ankle weights)

To improve your reflexes try this. Stand in a large space infront of TV (why is all my training done in front of tv?) every time the camera angle changes do your chosen technique (ie roundhouse) this will speed up your reflexs. All bag and pad work is good to.

I'm also a big believer in the 500 kicks a night way of training, now when i spar before i've even though "hmmm, now would be a good time to throw a round kick" I've already thrown it.

Practice, practice, practice look after your knees (pivot on your standing leg foot don't put a torsion through your knee and don't lock out your kicks!!)

Bretty

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... basically it is common sense karatekid!
Just remember these important tips:

Don't use advanced techniques for speed training. (Keep it simple!)
Get the basics down before moving to speed training. (when learning a new kick, break it down practicing it slowly at first to train your muscles in the correct execution)
Don't tense your muscles before doing a speed skill. (RELAX!)
Eliminate unnecessary movement that slows your technique down! (we all have a kick where we "throw in" an extra hop or jump or fail to rechamber!)

Muscles must be well trained before engaging in speed training. Weak muscles that cannot bear the intense requirements of speed training are easily injured.
All of the tips mentioned above by everyone having to do with stretching /flexibility and strength ... they are all prerequisites and training in those areas should already be tackled before the demands of speed training.

I'm glad my combos are working for you karatekid! .... hey cardio kickbox heavybag kicking combos ... that too is speed training!! ('specially with some kickbutt tunes!)

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...common sense for upper-to-black belts can be different from that of a white belt, y'know KickChick? Especially when we teach.

I like Bretty101's idea of the camera angles...pretty interesting.
So, if ankle weights are bad, what about those resistance bands connected by your ankles...still bad? I ask because I heard there was a kind developed for MA. I think the lady was just using them when she walked, etc.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: