Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tommy2u
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am a student of the Wado Ryu karate style. After training for a couple of year with this style I have found that its katas have limits in scoring at tournaments. Therefore I would like to broaden my knowledge of katas by also joining another club.
Thus can someone please recommend to me a style of karate that has great tournament katas. I have heard that shotokan, Shorin ryu and ****o ryu all have great katas.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I would strongly recommend to join another Okinawan style. Shotokan would be a good style to join because of its popularity. Then there are more secluded styles like Shuri ryu. Goju is also a good Okinawan system. Goju, Shuri, and Shotokan ryu are all very similar.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotokan is a japanese style of karate, not Okinawan.

From my experience, there are 2 main katas that are known for winning competitions - Unsu and Gojushiho-sho

Unsu involves very quick movements, and a very difficult jump, which impresses the judges.

Gojushiho-sho is a long kata, and involves stronger, dynamic moves. It contains a mixture of fast and slow moves.

but also from my experience, competitions are odd things - it depends on the judges whether they are in the mood for long or short!!!

Hope this helps

Tobias

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shi-to ryu or shi-to ryu based style may be helpful here because of the relatively high number of kata, and the fact that kata of both shuri-te and naha-te styles are included, giving a nice mixture.
Seienchin and Seipai always look good in tournament, IF PERFORMED WELL.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many styles of karate to the same katas. Only with variations. And sometimes with different names.

If you are just interested in doing well in tournament why don't you take a look at which katas have won previously; in the types of tournament you are interested in. And then see where they lead you.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Shotokan Kata on video that you can download free

http://ctr.usf.edu/shotokan/kata.html

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am not much of a tourniment person . I am a student of shi-to ryu but i have seen wado ryu kata and they are very good . I dont think you should be looking for a style based on tourniment kata you should pratice kata for your self . However this is just my opinion (you know what they say about opinions ) . Please dont choose a style based on how the kata looks at a tourniment.
There are to many styles out there now that base there whole system on tourniment and miss the true focus on what karate shoud be about . I hope this helps you on your quest in the martial art's.

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I think there are as many different reasons for practicing a martial art as their are people involved in them.

There are purist who are horrified by tournaments. There are tournament hounds who are horrified by the idea of full contact.

Is there a middle ground? I really don't know. And I really don't think it matters as long as the person involved is happy with what they are doing.

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree whole-heartedly Sai.
Sometimes we worry too much about what the other person thinks, but at the end of the day, you do what do because you're happy doing it.
Tommy2U, don't sacrifice your own enjoyment or fulfillment for the sake of looking good doing kata, but if you want to excel at kata competition, there should be no reason why you can't look at the kata of other styles with a view to performing them.

tommy2u
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the recommendations. They are very useful. The reasons for me wanting to learn other katas of other styles is only to broaden my knowledge and also I love to compete in tournaments. I will continue to study with wado ryu because I have faith in the styles fighting techniques.
But I believe that in competition when it come to a certain level (ie Black belts), katas that are performed must be showy (as I would call it). Wado katas consist of non-showy technique that involve high stances and quick movements. It is very odds to see a wado kata that has any low stances or slowing of a techniques.
I would like to stick with wado but at the same time train with another styles to learn other katas and to further my knowledge.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: