Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MuayThai Fighter
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: MuayThai,Submission Wrestling,Pankration,Karate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Tradition Martial Arts Kicks vs.Muay Thai Kicks. Reply with quote

In my opinion,Muay Thai Kickboxers have unique round house kicks that are the most effective kicks.

All martial arts styles kick with top part of the foot except for the muay thai fighters and those who have incorporated the kicks into their style.The muay thai practictioner applies round house kicks using shins.

Kicking using the shins which is all bone hurts more then being kicked with top of foot which is soft tissue,giving the muay thai fighter a better advantage when it comes to being kicked.

Those who have been kicked by both a Muay Thai fighter and karate ka know the difference of power and effectiveness behind the two kicks.

Although Muay Thai fighters sometimes kick to the head like any other art they do prefer keeping their kicks low like to the inner and outer thigh area and back to person's knees.

As someone who has done both karate and muay thai I know the difference and effectiveness,and in my opinion the muay thai hurts alot more then the traditional kick.Personally if I wasn't currently a muay thai fighter I would prefer being kicked by a karate kick then a muay thai kick .

Does anyone else share this opinion?

Dober
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about everyone else but personally I am sick of you always comparting Muay Thai to anything and everything else in a superior fashion.

MuayThai Fighter
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dober wrote:
I dont know about everyone else but personally I am sick of you always comparting Muay Thai to anything and everything else in a superior fashion.

Right now I'm not comparing the art of muay thai or others styles,only telling the difference of the kicks,giving my opinion and asking for people's opinions.I'm not talking about the arts as a whole.

If I meant to put people's art down I wouldn't ask for opinions would I?

Dober
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always present your opinions in a dis-respectful way.

MuayThai Fighter
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dober wrote:
You always present your opinions in a dis-respectful way.

That's your opinion.If it really bothers you,then why are you still coming into my threads.Obviously you want to see what I have to say otherwise you wouldn't have seen my remark to you in this thread.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tradition Martial Arts Kicks vs.Muay Thai Kicks. Reply with quote

MuayThai Fighter wrote:

All martial arts styles kick with top part of the foot except for the muay thai fighters and those who have incorporated the kicks into their style.The muay thai practictioner applies round house kicks using shins.
[/b]

Thats just not true. Kicking with the instep is generally used in point based sport arts. It extends the reach, is safer and will score the point. The instep is also padded, which protects not only the opponent, but the instep as well.

The ball of the foot, the tips of the toes, the heel and the shin are all used in other styles as well. Kicking also changes when shoes are worn, something thai fighters don't do. Savate fighters on the other hand know all about shoes and kicking.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

MuayThai Fighter
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tradition Martial Arts Kicks vs.Muay Thai Kicks. Reply with quote

AndrewGreen wrote:
MuayThai Fighter wrote:

[/b]

Thats just not true. Kicking with the instep is generally used in point based sport arts. It extends the reach, is safer and will score the point. The instep is also padded, which protects not only the opponent, but the instep as well.

The ball of the foot, the tips of the toes, the heel and the shin are all used in other styles as well. Kicking also changes when shoes are worn, something thai fighters don't do. Savate fighters on the other hand know all about shoes and kicking.

I know ball of foot is also used as well as the heel,but I'm only talking about round house kicks,not front and rear kicks or side kicks.

You're right kicking with shin is used in other styles,but the use of kicking with shins is originally from muay thai.Traditional artists stole the kicks of muay thai and started using them,because they saw how effective they were.

I even mentioned if you read correctly that some styles have incorporated our kicks into their styles.If it wasn't for muay thai,traditional arts wouldn't be using shin kicks,they'd using their round house kicks with top part of foot.

More and more arts are starting to rely on our kicks.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tradition Martial Arts Kicks vs.Muay Thai Kicks. Reply with quote

MuayThai Fighter wrote:

I know ball of foot is also used as well as the heel,but I'm only talking about round house kicks,not front and rear kicks or side kicks.

So, ball of the foot, shin & toes...

Quote:

You're right kicking with shin is used in other styles,but the use of kicking with shins is originally from muay thai.Traditional artists stole the kicks of muay thai and started using them,because they saw how effective they were.

And where did they steal it from? There is nothing "new", everything has been worked out, forgoten, borrowed, traded and relearned. Shin kicks have been around a lot longer then Muay Thai has.

Quote:

I even mentioned if you read correctly that some styles have incorporated our kicks into their styles.If it wasn't for muay thai,traditional arts wouldn't be using shin kicks,they'd using their round house kicks with top part of foot.

Sure, to some extent. If it wasn't for Royce Gracie very few would be using the guard, that doesn't mean it wasn't used elsewhere by other people. I've seen medieval european texts depicting fighting from the guard...

Quote:

Yes, and Muay Thai borrowed heavily from other systems as well, thats how arts evolve...

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

MuayThai Fighter
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tradition Martial Arts Kicks vs.Muay Thai Kicks. Reply with quote

AndrewGreen wrote:
MuayThai Fighter wrote:

So, ball of the foot, shin & toes...

Quote:

And where did they steal it from? There is nothing "new", everything has been worked out, forgoten, borrowed, traded and relearned. Shin kicks have been around a lot longer then Muay Thai has.

Quote:

Sure, to some extent. If it wasn't for Royce Gracie very few would be using the guard, that doesn't mean it wasn't used elsewhere by other people. I've seen medieval european texts depicting fighting from the guard...

Quote:

Yes, and Muay Thai borrowed heavily from other systems as well, thats how arts evolve...

I agree Gracies weren't the first ones to use guard position,but as far as shin kicks are concerned they came from MuayThai we didn't steal it from anyone,we didn't have to since the shin kicks were invented by the people of thailand who use it in their art which is MuayThai.

Here is an article that proves me right,that I pasted on to here.

Muay Thai is a style of "kickboxing" which utilizes hands, elbows, kicks, knees, and stand-up grappling known as clinching. It is the oldest style of "kickboxing" and undisputedly the most brutal. It originated in Thailand (formerly known as Siam) long ago and today it is a sport practiced at the global level. In the Western hemisphere, "kickboxing" was first influenced by Far Eastern Arts such as Karate and Tae Kwon Do from Japan and Korea respectively. However, in the 1970s and 1980s, through competition with Thai fighters, it was consistently proven that Muay Thai was the dominant style in the ring. Consistent means much more than one or two matches. The kicks of Muay Thai were harder and the impact of the knees, elbows, and clinching were devastating to the other styles of "kickboxing". As a result, kickboxers began to replace the karate and tae kwon do techniques with the techniques of Muay Thai. Today, one can see that kickboxers will most often kick with their rear leg using the shin as the striking surface. That is the powerful Muay Thai kick that kickboxers now consistently use as a dominant weapon in the ring. When such transition took place, the West divided into two major groups which confused the heck out of today's kickboxing fans. The Europeans basically adopted the name Muay Thai, especially in France and Holland. Their kickboxers now practice Muay Thai - there was little or no confusion in Europe. The United States and Japan however, adopted Muay Thai techniques but kept the generic name "kickboxing". In my first article, Muay Thai - The Belt is in the Ring, I go into more details as to why this was so. Because of this, it was never clearly defined that kickboxers were now replacing karate and tae kwon do techniques with Muay Thai techniques, especially the kicks. Therefore, today you will see some U.S. kickboxers throw almost exclusively Thai kicks, wear Thai shorts, yet incorrectly say that kickboxing is the combination of boxing and karate. This is wrong. Kickboxing as practiced today mainly has techniques from only two arts: (1) Western Boxing for hands, and (2) Muay Thai for kicks (and knees, elbows, and clinching where the rules permit). By now many fighters realize this and it is the purpose of this site to complete the imparting of this information to the remaining kickboxing fans who may still be confused. The fans of today are not to be blamed for their confusion; it was the way that the name "Muay Thai" was not accepted into the U.S. kickboxing community in the past that caused this confusion.

To confuse the fans even more, they now define "RULES" in terms of "Kickboxing" and "Muay Thai". So now the terms "Kickboxing" and "Muay Thai" apply not only to "TECHNIQUES" but also to "RULES"! So let's straighten this out. In terms of techniques, Muay Thai is now the main influence on today's kickboxers. It long replaced the techniques of karate and tae kwon do. In terms of rules, kickboxing rules do not allow anything beyond kicking and punching (keep in mind that in terms of techniques the kicks of today's kickboxers are primarily from Muay Thai regardless of rules). In contrast, the rules of Muay Thai allows all Muay Thai techniques to be used including knees, elbows, and clinching. In many countries, elbows are still the only weapon not allowed because of its potential to cause massive cuts.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tradition Martial Arts Kicks vs.Muay Thai Kicks. Reply with quote

MuayThai Fighter wrote:

Our roundhouses use the ball of the foot usually. We also use the shins for broad general targets, but when focusing on pressure points or vulnerable areas it's just too big a weapon sometimes.

Back in Hapkido we would actually spar using the top of the foot instead in order to lessen the chances of us severely hurting each other.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: