Add KarateForums.com
KarateForums.com Offline for Migration on September 5
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Training just for fun? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about a fresh approach, that will be more fun and with less self-imposed pressure. That is, not so serious. Just treat training as play, and enjoy it.

That flies in the face of both traditional and sports science based approaches, I know. I've done both, for decades! But in the last 8-10 years, I've been on & off, coming back to it but unable to muster the routine, the intensity, that I used to have.

Training for the next belt, or a competition. Training for "life and death" self-defense. Or, only train hard, at the most practical things, and forget the rest... it's all so fraught.

Anymore, I just like how it feels, to stretch out, punch and kick, the mental space I get into doing forms. Maybe that's enough, right?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a die-hard traditionalist who's extremely eclectic across the board will say this.... GO FOR IT!! Do whatever improves YOUR MA betterment and that YOU enjoy the most no matter what others might or might not ever say. No matter what IT is that you believe will benefit YOU, then by word, do it, and never look back.

After all, it's YOUR decision and it's YOUR MA journey!!

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary reason I train is for enjoyment and stress relief. I generally don’t do tournaments, and now that I’ve earned my shodan belts are years away instead of months. However I never really pursued the belts for their own sake — I see them as ways of unlocking new techniques and skills. Now that I’ve earned my 1st degree I get to start learning new katas and new drills. So I train for th enjoyment and I try to put in my best effort every day.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dare you suggest to train for the fun of it!!! what do you think this is... a hobby!?

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

DarthPenguin
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Training just for fun? Reply with quote

JazzKicker wrote:
I'm thinking about a fresh approach, that will be more fun and with less self-imposed pressure. That is, not so serious. Just treat training as play, and enjoy it.

That flies in the face of both traditional and sports science based approaches, I know. I've done both, for decades! But in the last 8-10 years, I've been on & off, coming back to it but unable to muster the routine, the intensity, that I used to have.

Training for the next belt, or a competition. Training for "life and death" self-defense. Or, only train hard, at the most practical things, and forget the rest... it's all so fraught.

Anymore, I just like how it feels, to stretch out, punch and kick, the mental space I get into doing forms. Maybe that's enough, right?

Training for enjoyment can be good for creativity and can also lead to some 'ah ha' moments too. Plus if not enjoying it then, it is a LOT of time to dedicate to something you don't like. You said you have trained for decades, so is there really that much more you can learn for basic self defence that you haven't already covered? (obviously you can still improve but i'm thinking of the 80/20 principle here)

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait…you haven’t been having fun while you train?
Idk what data you’ve been using, but most all data I’ve seen has shown that when people are able to turn something and make it as fun as possible for themselves they learn to do that thing better.

Unless you’re training as a professional, the training should always lean towards being on the fun side of the scale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: