Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Triangle from Mount Reply with quote

This week, our focus was on transitioning to, and attacking from, mount. There's lots of great attacks from mount and in our recap video we look at one of the more fun ones we did during the week- the Triangle Choke from Mount position.

It's a great example of learning one attack (the triangle) and applying it across several positions (guard v. mount.)

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJl4h31H4Lk

So, who uses the mounted triangle? Pros and cons? How about other attacks that are typically associated with one position that you use from another? Is there a stand up correlation?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another outstanding tutorial, Alex!! Thank you for sharing it.

Quote:
So, who uses the mounted triangle?

We use the mounted triangle!! To us, it's another choke, and chokes are our bread and butter, so to speak.

Quote:
Pros and cons?

If done without ambiguity, there are NO cons, only pros!! It's fast in its application(s), and any attempt to thwart it, can only be meet with other tactics that will allow the mounted triangle to succeed.

If there were any cons, it's not in the technique but only in the practitioner; this technique has too many transitional variants that can't be deflected; trying to defend oneself against the mounted triangle is, imho, more short lived than the one applying it. Possibly, I'll express some cons later on, but not now!! We can discuss pros and cons until the cows fly, but, like Bunkai, they're subjective to the practitioner; we might or might not agree on the pro or the con discussed.

Quote:
How about other attacks that are typically associated with one position that you use from another?

If I'm understanding your question, I can, after locking in the triangle, I can roll to my right, putting me on my back, and then, I can still execute the triangle choke.

If I'm still on top, and my opponent has more fight in trying to end my attempt at the triangle, I can grab my opponents right hand, and thusly, if only for a moment, and all I need is that moment, I manipulate a over wrist hold with my left hand, and as the fight is slowed, I can now put my right foot over my opponents left arm/bicep, and then continue to the end.

Quote:
Is there a stand up correlation?

First thing comes to my mind, is the Rear Naked Stand Up Choke executed from behind my opponent while I'm standing behind him/her. The one arm choke allows me to control one arm behind the back while choking with the free hand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: