Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a triangle step in wing chun.

imagine you feet being the two points on the base of an equilateral triangle.

to triangle step, you only move your feet along the sides of the triangle.
you would move one foot to meet the other, then move the same foot forward to the third point of the triangle.

the point of this is taht it allows you to 'step around' to the other side of their centre as well as advancing into them (using an arrow walk to finish)

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treebranch wrote:
Same idea if avoiding a punch. If you step to a 45 angle back to the inside or outside of the punch you will be standing on his balance point, the weakest point of his balance. I just gave you diamonds my friends.

There is a sweet two finger takedown technique using this triangulation point. Start facing your opponent, place the index and middle fingers of your left hand on his forehead as you walk past on his left, then extend your arm as you continue walking and point to his triangulation point as you described it. He'll go over backwards. But you have to walk past at an angle of somewhere around 10'.

However, if you are standing at 45' there is another, more effective triangulation point you should use. Similar to the one you described, it is located two equal segments running from his heels to a point of intersection the length of his shinbone behind him. A strike or push aimed through him at this point should unballance him, possibly even put him down. It is harder for him to recover from a strike takeing advantage ofthis point as opposed to the longer point.

There are also internal principles that use this point in conjunction with his center of gravity that can unballance an opponent without even touching him. (No, nothing to do with 'chi balls', just the way his central nervouse system works.)

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delta said:
Quote:
There is a sweet two finger takedown technique using this triangulation point. Start facing your opponent, place the index and middle fingers of your left hand on his forehead as you walk past on his left, then extend your arm as you continue walking and point to his triangulation point as you described it. He'll go over backwards. But you have to walk past at an angle of somewhere around 10'.

However, if you are standing at 45' there is another, more effective triangulation point you should use. Similar to the one you described, it is located two equal segments running from his heels to a point of intersection the length of his shinbone behind him. A strike or push aimed through him at this point should unballance him, possibly even put him down. It is harder for him to recover from a strike takeing advantage ofthis point as opposed to the longer point.

There are also internal principles that use this point in conjunction with his center of gravity that can unballance an opponent without even touching him. (No, nothing to do with 'chi balls', just the way his central nervouse system works.)

Delta what are you studying? The balance principals are identical to Budo Taijutsu. Dude! I'm impressed.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Hoju
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do, Fencing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like "triangulation" is the same thing that I've always heard referred to as "cutting the angles." Or in military terms, "flanking the enemy." Basically, taking into account that as an opponent is moving/attacking forward, part of your defense is shifting out of the line, throwing off their line of attack/movement & putting yourself in a better position offensively.
Just look at some of the great military battles - Generally, this is a tactic used by the winning side.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treebranch wrote:
Delta what are you studying? The balance principals are identical to Budo Taijutsu.

Anything I can, whenever and wherever I can get it.

The two finger takedown was shown me by an Aikidoka, working out in my back yard. I was first introduced to internal triangulation points by Anise Sensei, who heads an Aiki-Jutsu organization, at a seminar. I've since worked with other stylists in different arts on it. The unballancing technique I alluded to is used by some Japanese practicioners as a feint- they point sharply to your center of gravity (tan tien), then a quick strike and over you go. I believe it is called 'cutting the center'. Anise Sensei could do this fairly reliably with a quick down-up-down motion and topple you without ever touching you.

American Kenpo and Arnis both work angles a lot. But if you import some ideas from other arts it gives you more to play with. I often find that some things I learn outside are in AK 'at higher levels'. But I like to discover and work with things on my own. It's part of what makes the art 'alive' to me. Even at lower levels, AK uses that 45' downward or upward (complimentary angle) strike to either anchor or put him down, or to uproot him and disrupt his base. But adding the internal application makes it even more interesting and effective. In the end, it's all just seriouse fun!

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoju wrote:
It sounds like "triangulation" is the same thing that I've always heard referred to as "cutting the angles." Or in military terms, "flanking the enemy." Basically, taking into account that as an opponent is moving/attacking forward, part of your defense is shifting out of the line, throwing off their line of attack/movement & putting yourself in a better position offensively.

That is probably the most important part of triangulation, or working angles- whatever you want to call it. If you can't do what you describe first, you can't do any of the rest of the things Treebranch an me were talking about. Good point.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's amazing to me how many MA's don't really teach this stuff. This stuff is awesome knowledge.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, it's amazing to me how many MA's don't really teach this stuff. This stuff is awesome knowledge.

Very few MA schools I've seen seem to teach fighting at all

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad. MA's is supposed to be fighting, but somehow it turned into something else.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mainly as a way to make cash.
what gets me is when the students actually know something bad's going on but don't do anything about it...

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: