Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Goju_boi
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju ryu , Kobudo , and just started Capoeira

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah k-1,because grappling is cool,but not if it goes on for 30 minutes straight

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UFC ref's are getting better though,

most of the time, if not much is happening in the ground game, ref's are tending to stand the fighters up more often, and more quickly.

K-1 is still better IMO.

Goju_boi
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"K-1 is still better IMO." agreed

SubGrappler
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Submission Wrestling

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamesu wrote:

most of the time, if not much is happening in the ground game, ref's are tending to stand the fighters up more often, and more quickly.

K-1 is still better IMO.

I dont agree with the UFC refs being better. I think they're easily manipulated by the audience. Lots of times they do ridiculous standups, like when someone has half guard, or mounted positions. A lot of standups occur simply because the audience doesnt understand the ground game, hence boo when the fight goes that way.

Goju_boi
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well most of the audience isn't into martial arts as much as the people on this website are

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SubGrappler wrote:
yamesu wrote:

K-1 is still better IMO.

I dont agree with the UFC refs being better. I think they're easily manipulated by the audience. Lots of times they do ridiculous standups, like when someone has half guard, or mounted positions. A lot of standups occur simply because the audience doesnt understand the ground game, hence boo when the fight goes that way.

Seriously, thats a really good point, which I neglected to touch upon in my previous post.
In some respects I agree, the refs can be to hasty, but generally the refs are standing fighters up if they dont see the ground game immediately going somewhere.

I think this is a good thing. IMO, it simulates combat a little better, as the fighters are more enticed into choosing moves which are more devestating to their opponents.
Nowdays, because of refs standing fighters more often, wrestlers must go and learn more striking skills to stay in the game, as they cannot rely on rolling around on the ground for 3minutes trying to score an arm-bar.

Just my opinion.

Cheers.

Goju_boi
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with u , because it lets u taste a good amount of everything like a buffet.

SubGrappler
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Submission Wrestling

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamesu wrote:

Seriously, thats a really good point, which I neglected to touch upon in my previous post.
In some respects I agree, the refs can be to hasty, but generally the refs are standing fighters up if they dont see the ground game immediately going somewhere.

I think this is a good thing. IMO, it simulates combat a little better, as the fighters are more enticed into choosing moves which are more devestating to their opponents.
Nowdays, because of refs standing fighters more often, wrestlers must go and learn more striking skills to stay in the game, as they cannot rely on rolling around on the ground for 3minutes trying to score an arm-bar.

Just my opinion.

Cheers.

Lets look at things from another angle though.

Grapplers already needed to learn the standup game, because the strikers were the first ones to start crosstraining and learning takedown defense. Its hard enough as is to take down many of todays mixed martial artists.

From a different perspective, frequent standups mean that strikers dont need to learn a whole lot of grappling in order to succeed in a match- if one gets taken down, all he needs to do is hold the match so that the guy on top cant do anything productive, and this leads to a referee break. In a real fight, you cant hold someone to death. Indeed, this is Mark Laimon's preferred way to use the guard in MMA (hold on for a ref break or until you regain your feet).

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lets look at things from another angle though.

Grapplers already needed to learn the standup game, because the strikers were the first ones to start crosstraining and learning takedown defense. Its hard enough as is to take down many of todays mixed martial artists.

From a different perspective, frequent standups mean that strikers dont need to learn a whole lot of grappling in order to succeed in a match- if one gets taken down, all he needs to do is hold the match so that the guy on top cant do anything productive, and this leads to a referee break. In a real fight, you cant hold someone to death. Indeed, this is Mark Laimon's preferred way to use the guard in MMA (hold on for a ref break or until you regain your feet).

Another good point,

but what about in cases like Ortiz Vs. Shamrock, they went to the ground, and stayed there for like three 3minute rounds, all because the fighters were being instantly productive.

Its a lot harder to try and score a submission than it is to ground and pound, especially if the opponent is not exauhsted.

Cheers.

Goju_boi
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Grapplers already needed to learn the standup game, because the strikers were the first ones to start crosstraining and learning takedown defense"

But nowadays a very big deal of people are learning both at the same time,so they aren't really classified as primarily grapplers or strikers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: