Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Using the back leg. Reply with quote

I come from a style discouraging the use of the back leg because it opens your vital target areas. We mainly use our front leg and front hand as our initial form of defense and attack. The back leg is only used to counter with a reverse back leg or a reverse back hook kick. Since we mainly like to use the front leg and front punch, our stance is "heel to heel". We expose less surface area to our opponents.This provides a very good way of protecting your target areas.

Anyway, I want to learn how to effectively use my back leg so I can become a more versatile fighter. Should I alter my stance?(Perhaps fighting with my heels an inch or two apart so the kick is less telegraphic?) Should I stay in a low stance? HOw do you effectively do the quick back leg right and left round house kick combo that W.T.F stylists do so well?

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually we use a stance that is less in-line than the one you use, that probably helps.

As for getting the quick 1-2 kick combo, practice doing sliding in round kicks with two pads. hit the first pad with your front leg than the ssecond with the rear leg. Switch it up after about 20 and begin with the rear and finish with the leg that began in front. It's a pretty common drill for us and the only way you get better at it is to practice practice practice.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's what i was going to say...
Use your front leg kicks to set up and then, BOOM hit with a powerfull back leg kick... do combo kicks.. like set up with a side kick and hit with a back leg roundhouse. Set up with a front kick and then back leg front kick. set up with a roundhouse kick and then, jump spinning back kick... Be creative with your combos.
the more you train, you'll develop the proper distance and timing to do those kicks.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF guys do the whole lightening rear leg thing the best. Scary

But then they don't need to worry about having a raised guard of punching. It's all a compromise. I was enlightened to the power and possible speed of a rear leg kick by taking up Thai boxing. I broke 2 ribs in my first lesson.

It's all about compromising one and the other, more tools to your armoury.

Bretty

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think a person who is good at only using the front leg be able to succussfully go against a W.T.F stylist that likes to use the quick "switch round house technique"?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: