Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Visualization Training Reply with quote

Has anyone ever practiced this one purpose??

For example its late, you are by yourself, just sit there and try to get yourself amped up by imagining a scenerio and your response to it. What if someone busts through the front door. What if you are subject to multiple invaders inside your home. What would be your course of action?

This seems to me like a great mental excersise, especially in dealing with with the unexpected.

Anyone have thoughts on the merits of such training?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of it. It goes to hardwiring responses and shortcuts the decision and action phases of the OODA loop. Mental rehearsals have been show at high levels of athletic competition to improve performance in single blind studies. I'll have to hunt thru some materials to find the reference if anyone is interested.

Grossman is a fan of it as well and offers what I think are some good points. You've heard some of them before, but they are worth repeating. First off, they actually have to be used like training. Not ninja killing fantasies. I can be guilty of this from time to time.

Realism is key to imagery. The more detailed the better. The more realistic attacks used the better. The more accurate your responses the better. Try to get the environment detailed as well. Include your senses beyond sight once you get better. Smell, feel, ect. A high level of this is also imagining the physiological effects that the combat will have on you. This lets you work on controlling your heart rate and breathing as well. Of course, getting these last parts right will mandate either previous combative experience or realistic physical simulation.

There is some debate about how deep you should go into putting yourself in the weeds. Obviously, you don't want start visualizing getting a curb stomping level beat down each time you do this. Some will say to avoid it all together. Others, will advocate working thru negative elements to ensure victory. You'll have to do the research and decide for yourself. Personally I"ll work thru setbacks and injury from time to time but never let myself loose the encounter. I'll get injured in these from time to time, but with the idea of pre-encounter preparing myself for that possibly and fighting thru it.

Just my thoughts.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one good use. Another is simply mental reps of technique. It's a good supplement to physical training. I believe this is a major tool for cognitive and behavioral psychological therapists. It helps to condition a response before the stimulus is actually there. If you think about it, martial arts is just creating conditioned responses to stimuli until it is habit.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really good point. I think that's why note taking works well for me. Because it makes me mentally rehearse the movement I'm annotating after class several times to get it to paper. Then again when it get put to hard drive. It's likely the mental rehersal that aids me more than the actual notes, of course when I review that again give me the opportunity to mentally image the movements again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: