Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mattys
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Kenpo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Washing Shureido Gi Reply with quote

Alright, I finally got my middleweight shureido gi! Now a question. What cycle, speed, and temperature do you lot wash your shureido gi in? Also, any certain detergent? When you drip dry it do you put it on a hanger to dry or just leave it lay?

I noticed two things after my gi came out of the wash the first time: 1, it was extremly stiff; 2, it had greyish streaks or stains all on it. Is any of this normal?

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Washing Shureido Gi Reply with quote

mattys wrote:
Alright, I finally got my middleweight shureido gi! Now a question. What cycle, speed, and temperature do you lot wash your shureido gi in? Also, any certain detergent? When you drip dry it do you put it on a hanger to dry or just leave it lay?

I noticed two things after my gi came out of the wash the first time: 1, it was extremly stiff; 2, it had greyish streaks or stains all on it. Is any of this normal?

If you like the way it fits now, wash it in cold water. Hot water wil lmake it shrink some. I would wash it alone, or with other whites...NOT WITH ANYTHING COLORED! A little liquid bleach (not poured directly on the material of the gi though) will help keep it nice and white. Note, I said "a little"...to much and it will eat through the material.

Any major brand of detergent shoudl work jsut fine...powedered or liquid.

Personally, I dry mien in the dryer all the time, but if you're going to let it "air dry"..hand it on a plastic hanger (metal ones can leave rust stains) and allow it at least a day or two to dry. Air movement will hasten the drying process.

If the gi is coming out of the wash stiff, and you want to unstiffen it a bit...try fabric softener at the end of the rinse cycle. I do that with my Wranglers and it works great.

If you got greyish streaks, you probably had washed something greasy (overhauls perhaps?) in the washer on the previous load, or possibly there was a crayon, broken pen or something else in the washer when the gi went through. Normal washing shouldn't leave anything like that.

Re-reading this post of mine...I'm going to make some nice woman a great wife some day! Hey, I iron too!

mattys
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah nice. Uh, about the washing with colours and the gray stains... it's a black gi. I just read on the shureido usa website that the heavyweight gi's get grey streaks out of the wash, so I was wondering if it was normal with the middle weight gi as well. Is it alright to wash the black gi with colours?

mattys
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa I just noticed this is in the weapons section... could a mod move it to the equipment section? Sorry 'bout that!

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCREEEEEEEEETCHHHHHH!!!!

Well...scratch what I said about bleach first of all!

A heavyweight black gi will streak...I've had a bunch of them, and they will fade to a dark gray color eventually with every wash. I think, but don't know for sure, that the streaking is caused by the material folding over as it washes and the wter/soap doesn't get into all of the nooks and crannies evenly. If a medium weight is also that heavy canvas material, it wil lno doubt do the same thing.

Washing it with other colors will probably be OK after you've washed it with real dark colors (black, navy blue) several times...I do with mine and never had any problems.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to move this over to the Equipment forum.

Sheffield Steelers!

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattys wrote:
Hah nice. Uh, about the washing with colours and the gray stains... it's a black gi. I just read on the shureido usa website that the heavyweight gi's get grey streaks out of the wash, so I was wondering if it was normal with the middle weight gi as well. Is it alright to wash the black gi with colours?

Many of my black heavyweight gi's come outta the wash with some "gray" streaks.....it's all good in my opinion, never concerned me much. Speaking of Shureido, I just bought a black one yesterday, and I plan on washing it in hot H20 and drying to shrink it before I have to alter it.....that's why I like to buy my gi's at least 1 size larger than I normally wear.....it's all about comfort

Dijita
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorinryu Sensei, you're such a great mom!

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificshore wrote:
.....it's all about comfort

THE most important aspect when it comes to gi, IMO!!

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: