Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Weaponry by Kyoshi Roger Pratt Reply with quote

A few years ago I had an Ipe hakakubo (octagonal bo staff) made by Kyoshi Roger Pratt, whose website was under construction at the time at fightingweaponry.com, and I was thinking about getting another but he seems to have disappeared! The staff is fantastic, and so are the cocabola tekko he made for my fiancee and her coworkers, so I was hoping he was still making weapons. Has anyone bought anything from him, or even been in contact with him, since 2008? Is he alright?

BDPulver
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Kobudo, Knife Training

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was more help to you. Not familiar with him or his website.

Generally I frequent this one http://www.weaponsconnection.com/ had a friend get some sai's from there and he loves them.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Carbone is, from what I've heard, a very dedicated and diligent weapon maker and instructor. My Isshinryu instructor is taking kobudo under him right now. Carbone has a lot of links back to Okinawa, which you can see on his page, and has made weapons for more than a few people there.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked into Weapons Connection and Master Carbone in the past, but I really prefer octagonal staffs and Ipe is an excellent wood for them, and Kyoshi Pratt's work is fantastic and affordable while Master Carbone's work is fantastic and expensive. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

PJAssenmacher
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Weaponry by Kyoshi Roger Pratt Reply with quote

Roger Pratt also made an octagonal bo-stick for me. He also taught my son and I. He had his dojo in Jackson Michigan and was leading a quiet life. He always said if you want to get lost, come to Jackson, cause nobody cares who you are. Sadly he passed away last year. In his retired life, he DJ'd events, and played drums. We answered a craigslist ad and met a new artist. We formed a Ironcowgirl Missy and in 6 months we promoted and created a wonderful CD cultivating in a trip to play at The Legendary Buffalo Chip for the Sturgis SD motorcycle rally with an audience of 600,000 people, even playing with the Doobie Brothers. Here is a video with Sensei Pratt drumming.
http://youtu.be/RnbZRahLKzo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: