Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RedLynx
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know many Okinawan and other M/A weapons today were once merely tools. What I'm not sure of is exactly what they were once used for. For example I know the nunchaku were used for crushing/harvesting grain, but if you asked me what the sai was used for, I'd have no clue. Can any of you tell me what different weapons were once used for?

"A fool can put on wisdom, but his foolisness will show." -Kurt Dopler

Nunchaku Sticks (chain variety)

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedLynx

You are correct in thinking that many Okinawan weapons were farm tools, but there is no 'correct' answer, just theories.

We can start this by looking at the nunchaku - yes, they might have been grain beaters, but if you actually look at the original grain beaters they were actually larger, and some had certain specifications etc.

It is far more likely that another theory is 'correct'. Other theories include horse bites, but my personal favourite - the law enforcement tool. This theory was that if the 'copper' spotted a thief, they would clap the nunchaku together, alerting everyone.

In reference to the zai, I'm going to provide a link to my instructor/examiner's website. This has some very good theories for the sai (FAQs, "The Sai Theories")

http://www.martialarts2000.freeserve.co.uk/Text%20Files/The%20Sai%20theories.doc

If that link doesn't work, go to :

http://www.martialarts2000.freeserve.co.uk

Hope this helps

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that when Shaoloin Kung Fu was being made that they trained to fight with every day weapons such as broomsticks, and buckets. But I think they have adopted more advanced weapons now such as swords and sticks.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some kobudo weapons I've heard of:

Staff (bo/jo) - walking stick/staff (or pole from rake, shovel, broom, etc)

Oar - a simple boat oar, for rowing

Nunchuck - part of horse bridle. I believe early nunchucks imitated the curved bridle shape.

Tonfa - may have been a mill handle. However, similar weapons are found throughout Asia and it may always have had a martial application.

Sai - I've heard that this was always a weapon, like a sword. May have evolved from a pitchfork but the modern application seems purely martial.

Kama - A sickle, used for cutting straw and grass.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, every weapon has evolved out of some tool. If it wasn't a farm implement, it was a hunting tool, or a craft tool.
the axe - for cutting wood
the spear and bow - for hunting game
the knife - for cutting up food, cutting material, furs, etc.
the hammer - cracking nuts, driving wood piles, 1001 other uses.
The sword is just a big knife (in principle, not practise), and the cruise missile is just a big firecracker.

Everything can probably be traced back to the stick, the stone, or the bone.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: