Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

angiewinter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

competotions are not all about winning the medals, thaiboxerken, its about taking part, knowing that you are showing your best and having fun! you have a point, it is a great feeling when you win, but you have to remember, have fun and DONT push yourself too hard
Angela
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like I said.. it's about having fun, in other words entertainment. I myself think it's funny to watch forms competitions, but that's just my opinion. Why do they have to yell so loud? I guess volume of "KIAHH" is one of the judgement criteria.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double broadsword routine.
Double nunchuk's
I think i like double things. lol

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the unlikely event I were to do a tournament my kobudo choice would be sai.
:up:1st because I really like the. I think it would be much more difficult to practice and work at being my best with something I really did not like as much as other things.

Also, my new light weight aluminum sai enable me to flip them in and out so much more quickly than the heavier steel ones.

I think competition is not about self defense nearly so much as it is about flash and impressing the judges. For me that says sai.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen excellent Kama katas in tournaments. I've also seen a balisong kata in action. Both had great moves that could possibly rival the Whip Chain......but then again it all comes down to the competitior and their training.

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites would definately be the chinese broadsword or the whip chain.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as a coach and competitor on the Naska National circuit I've seen and done my share of weapons forms. If you're at an open even then most times a fancy form will win over a tradition. (not always but VERY often) So keep that in mind. If you're a great kicker and have fast hands and can put together combos that combine kicking with hand motions then kamas are a great idea for you.
(remember this is open competition not reality against a sword etc. where your foot would be cut off if a kick was thrown)

If you practice a traditional style and are proficient with the Bo then modify that form and ad some extra figure 8 motions preferably with a spin etc.

My experience shows that these are the 2 primary weapons of choice among the best competitors in the U.S.

Good Luck,
Pete

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO I believe that the Nunchaku or the broadsword are the best weapons to use in a kata competition becase they are flashy and awe inspiring!!!

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nunchaku is a very flashy weapon. The only problem is that a lot of judges don't know exactly what is going on when you're performing a nunchaku form. Many times your strikes may look like figure 8's and because of this you may not score as high. A double Nunchaku form will have more of an advantage over single but obviously is a lot more difficult. I would say if you're planning on the nunchaku then pick up a pair and go to town. Learn to multiple spinning combos using various strikes having both nunchaku moving at the same time. Also learn to do double figure 8's and learn to keep the nunchaku spinning while you kick.

Pete

searcher
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-ryu(Shorin and Shorei), Isshinryu, Hawaiian Kenpo, Judo, Ryukyu Kobudo Currently studying ITF TKD

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am not really sure what your build is or where your strengths are, I will give this a shot and maybe I can help. If you are doing traditional forms I think you will do best with the weapon you feel most comfortable with. As for open format in weapons, I suggest that if you are a kicker(machine gun kicker) you would want to use kama or nunchaku, depending on how much gymnastic-type movements you want in your kata. If you have fast hands I suggest using a bo staff. If you are competing in a wushu dominated event, I suggest either straight or broad sword. I hope that we all remember that in open forms FLASHY gets the high scores.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: