Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sparkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: What am I getting myself into??!! Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm a pretty fresh beginner. I've been training in Shorin-ryu since the end of October. So far, I think I'm doing OK. My sensei says for a beginner, and an adult who hasn't been too terribly athletic up to this point, I'm doing pretty good. But I'm aftraid I bit off a little more than I can chew with what's coming up this weekend. We're having a guest teacher come and do a Kobudo seminar at our Dojo- 6 hours each day on Saturday and Sunday. I've learned one Bo Kata already and I'm working on another one, and that's my extent of knowing about weapons. Both Senseis at my Dojo are telling me that I'll be fine, that the guest teacher will take things slow and teach step by step. I heard there will be other beginners there and that made me feel more confidant, so I signed up for one day.

The problem came when today, I was talking to one of the upper level students. She told me that sometimes the guest teacher will really rush through the steps and then expect that everyone will just be able to follow along (which they tell us is the "traditional way of teaching in Okinawa). I know I can't do that at the level I'm at right now and the thought of 6 hours of absolute frustration is really shaking me up. I'm wondering if I should make up some dumb excuse and try to get out of it and have the money credited to my dojo account OR if I should just suck it up and do my best to have a possitive experience.

What do you all think?

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sparkey,

In my own opinion, you should take every opportunity to absorb as much as possible. So with that in mind, I think that attending the Kobudo training would help you greatly, even if your just beginning. Might I suggest that you find out if video cameras will be allowed. If so, set yours up out of the way and film your training. Even if you don't get the whole kata down, at least it'll be on tape. Plus with so many others there, you'll be able to help each other out in the areas you can't remember.

Don't overwhelm yourself with trying to learn a new kata or whatever it'll be that you are learning that day, do your best to keep up and keep it fun. Even on my best day of training, once I stop what it is I'm learning, I usually forget when I hit the road.

Hope this is of some help in your decision

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember it is fairly impossible for anyone to remember at that is taught in a six hour seminar. Absorb as much as you can and view the rest of it as something to look forward to mastering in your future.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with with both Sai and Pacificshore. If he is a good Sensei there is no harm in asking to go over the bits you cant really remember.

To my knowlegde if Bo kata are anything like Taijutsu (unarmed) Kata, then the Okinawans took years to study them. So to ask for perfection or even the basic movements after 6 hours is a little unreasonable.

The key thing to remember is to enjoy it.

Oh and welcome to the forums.

CheekyMusician
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*jumps up and down excitedly*

Go for it, go for it, go for it!!

You might now be able to keep up, but if you try your hardest you're bound to learn something and have a great experience. You don't know if you'll get the opportunity to do this again so grab it while you can.

I'd wanted to go to a course with Kanazawa Sensei, but my dad wouldn't let me. Granted I'd only been doing karate for a couple of months, and granted that the course was miles and miles away, but I really wanted to go. Kanazawa is so cool

Freestyler
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you only learn one thing, consider it money well spent.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure you'll be fine, just try and enjoy yourself and have fun! good luck

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine.

Remember these guys have taught for years and understand that people learn at differant speeds. I don't think your Sensei would bering in a Drill Instructor to show you up. Because you are actually a showing of his ability to teach.

He may go fast but that is only because his time is money and he wants to give you the most teaching he can in a few hrs. So when he is going fast just do you best and realize that.

Good luck I hope you enjoy the training.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we want to know how it went when you get back.

Sparkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for your votes of confidence. I still am feeling a bit aprehensive, but I feel encouraged. All of your thumbs up have helped. I will take a possitive attitude with me and give myself the luxury of being a beginner. I keep having to tell myself "I'm not SUPPOSED to know how to do that...!". And I will laugh at myself and I love the advice that if I only learn ONE thing, I'll have not wasted my time.
I will certainly let you know how it goes. I'm feeling scared and excited at the same time.
BTW the seminar is with someone from Texas named "Nick Flores". Does anyone know who that is?
Thanks bunches!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: