Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tekkenchaos
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also do a free-for all game...It's called Samuri--you're not allowed to use hands, just feet....if you're kicked in the head, you're out and if you're kicked to the body you lose a blocking arm..if you're kicked to the body 3 times (after both your arms cannot be used anymore), you're out too...last person standing wins! it's also interesting to play this game when you put bags out that act as mines..if you touch it-you're out! )

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take all my mid to upper ranks and put them on one side of the room. I take my new kids and put them on the other. Match it up so each beginner is always with an advanced student or me.

When it is beginner and advanced the advanced student will play D always. Only attacking with locks and throws to teach lessons. The advanced students will throw slow front kicks or slow roundhouse hook punches to let the new studnet practice seeing the attack and working off it to a counter.

We do that for 10 mins or so. Then we change. Now myself and my higer studnets will take 2 white belts and work with them one one one. Doing the same thing but adding a bit more speed and attacks. Durring this time the advanced students are matched up with each other and are free to spar at will. This lasts as long as I wish it to.

The last part we do. We will set everyone down. Our top ranked studnest will spar a few mins in fromt of class 2 at a time. Sometimes I will get in this as well. Just depends on class size and time. Then we will take one student who has exp aginst 2 students who are new. May get up to one on three if we are lucky. The class really enjoys that part.

That is just the method we use. The first part allows the advanced kids to get loose and teach a little. The middle part lets the advanced work hard with people their own leval and lets me check the new kids. Then the final parts lets the advanced members show there stuff while the young guys get to see what it should look like and pick up a few moves.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O BTW We do not do point sparring. I think it is useless for SD and I do not teach it. I a student of mine wants to enter a point system fight. I will work with him on the side but I do not teach point sparring in class. It builds false hopes and impressions IMO.... But thats another post. LOL

OldRookie
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do (Choong Sil)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do many of the mentioned at my Dojang; multiple attacks,using only hands or only feet & our instructor really emphasizes using the front leg 99% of the time. If your seen using a back leg, for say- a round kick,you hit the mat for 20 pushups each time. This usually works especially well with kids when the throwing a turning kick & after a few sets the start remembering to kick with the lead leg. I am guilty of this also as my R side is the strong side & I just naturally want to bring that back leg in from way back in the outfield-especially with round kicks.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do some of what's mentioned, and the exact opposite of others.

Multiple attackers aren't really practiced in sparring format until around brown belt (2yrs of training). Before that, we get them started by having multiple attackers coming at them with blocking pads, to just get them used to the mobility required.

For lower sparring drills, we actually emphasize the need to mix up punches and kicks. Therefore, we never make them use all of one or the other, as not to develop that habit. We have one on the attack, and the other on the defense for one minute, then switch. The one on the attack is told to focus on getting in all cominations of 3 strikes or more. They are able to focus on this since they don't need to worry about the counter from the opponent. Both are told to focus on keeping their guard up and moving in circles. Finally, they are set to free spar, where they need to get in quick combos lest they be tagged by a counter.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: