Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: What are your thoughts on Iaido? Reply with quote

Just curious...

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of iaido is wonderful. When I moved to the area I am now, there was actually a guy who taught it. Unfortunately, his teaching method didn't work with what I wanted/expected. It went something like this:

Day 1 lesson 1: Here's how to stand
Day 1 lesson 2: Here's how to swing the sword vertically
Day 1 lesson 3: Here's how to swing diagonally
Day 1 lesson 4, 5, 6... : Here's how to do various waza.

Waza were demonstrated once or twice, then we'd attempt to perform them twice. We'd then move onto the next waza. Corrections were very limited, and if they were given, were frequently given as "someone in here isn't getting it..." in front of the class. Everyone in the group had been participating for at least 2 years, and most of them under a different sensei. The guy who took over liked to talk more than teach.

Unfortunately, I had to sign a 1-year contract. It costed $40/mo, and the lessons were 1 hour per week.

I'd love to take lessons, but I don't think I'll ever find someone to teach that again in such a small town.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
The idea of iaido is wonderful. When I moved to the area I am now, there was actually a guy who taught it. Unfortunately, his teaching method didn't work with what I wanted/expected. It went something like this:

Waza were demonstrated once or twice, then we'd attempt to perform them twice. We'd then move onto the next waza. Corrections were very limited, and if they were given, were frequently given as "someone in here isn't getting it..." in front of the class. Everyone in the group had been participating for at least 2 years, and most of them under a different sensei. The guy who took over liked to talk more than teach.

Unfortunately, I had to sign a 1-year contract. It costed $40/mo, and the lessons were 1 hour per week.

I'd love to take lessons, but I don't think I'll ever find someone to teach that again in such a small town.

that's a terrible teaching method

I think I want to learn iaido! Now I need to find a good school

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the teacher and the individual student.

It's been more than a decade since I studied this art. I am happy that I took the art as it was fascinating and I loved how difficult something that looks so simplistic was. The little nuances of how the techniques are done correctly, the timing, angles, and maintaining a level plane was a bit of a challenge at times. But I loved the art and if I was still within a reasonable distance to a school I would probably continue to learn it.

I will try to recap as well as possible the curriculum that I remember.

Kata learned;

Shodan Waza
Mae, Migi, Ushiro, Yaegaki (not sure if the spelling is right), Hidari, Tsukekomi, Oikaze, Kaishaku, Uke Nagashi, Tsukikage, Nukiuchi.

Chuden Tatehiza Waza
Yoko Guma, Tora-no issoku, Uki Gumo, Yama Oroshi, Iwa Nami, Nami Gaeshi, Taki Otoshi, Makko, and I can't for the life of me remember the remaining Kata but there are 10.

Okuden Suwariwaza
Kasumi, Sune Gakoi, To Zume, To Waki, Shiho Giri, Tana Shita, Tora Bashiri, and I can't recall the name of the 8th.

Okuden Iaia Tachiwaza
Yuki Zure, Tsure Dachi, Somakuri, Sodome, Shinobu, Sode Suri Gaeshi, Kabe Zoe, Uke Nagashi, and again I can't remember the remaining but there are 10 in total.

We also learned Tachi Uchi No Kurai and others but again it's been years so the memory is not exactly tight when it comes to the names but I can still perform them. I want to say there was somewhere around 100 + that were taught. I didn't even scratch the surface and did not learn that many as I only studied the art for three years.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:

Actually the first day was learning the customs and traditions and a bit of how to hold the sword. Hand placement, etc. How to sit and kneel and how to get up from that position.

Sounds like You got a bit extra on your first day.

Once a week is a joke. Our classes were held twice a week two hours each and we were encouraged to fit in a third day if possible. Obviously like with anything study outside of class was a must.

Too bad you couldn't find another instructor in your town or the next over. I loved the art and it actually helped me with my training over all. The concepts are easily integrated into other arts.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

Actually the first day was learning the customs and traditions and a bit of how to hold the sword. Hand placement, etc. How to sit and kneel and how to get up from that position.

Sounds like You got a bit extra on your first day.

Once a week is a joke. Our classes were held twice a week two hours each and we were encouraged to fit in a third day if possible. Obviously like with anything study outside of class was a must.

Too bad you couldn't find another instructor in your town or the next over. I loved the art and it actually helped me with my training over all. The concepts are easily integrated into other arts.

Escanaba has about 13000 people in it. Marquette, which is double in size is an hour away. Green Bay is about 2 hours away... This is the only real drawback (for me) about living in Michigan's UP.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to live in a place where there are more acres of trees than buildings. UP is wilderness. It would be a paradise for a hunter/outdoors guy like me.

I live in the country but over the years the country has been modernized and taken over by residential neighborhoods and businesses. Even private land is not private. People ignore the posted signs and just set up for their hunt. You're really lucky if you get somewhat responsible hunters invading your land that don't shoot at you because you just might be a deer. I wouldn't know what to do with that much land to hunt. Paradise, pure paradise.

Not so lucky finding a close Iaido school but man, you are lucky to live in UP.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get 40 acres, a decent house and maybe some outbuildings for under $200k here if you know where to look. The main problem is employment. There's a paper mill, college/schools and hospital/medical centers. No real large-scale manufacturing or other jobs in the area. I see a lot of folks cycle through the stores and restaurants around here.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep that in mind when I retire.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
I'll keep that in mind when I retire.

If I’m ever fortunate enough to be able to retire, I’ll be looking for someplace where I open my door and I’m on the beach. And I’m comfortably wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt 365 days a year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: