Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of taking up a second art - a grappling art - to make myself a better and more well-rounded fighter. I have found my tae kwon do to become a little tedious and a lot of the techniques are not very practical - even my namesake . So what do you think? And also, these are the ones I am thinking about:

1. Judo - the judo school seems very cool. The master is the one who trained the guy on the flight that crashewd down in Pennsylvania - he is world-renowned, and though we have only spoken online, he seems very nice. Judo is one of my choices because of how much I love competition, and also the fact that the sensei incorporates a lot of practical, street fighting techniques.

Aikido - I know a little less bout this art - but many have told me that is very philosophical and also would be very good for a TKD student - because of the great contrast oin styles and approach to fighting.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - Yes! I, too, have been intrigued by the latest MA craze. The instructor trained under Royler Gracie and is a brown belt. It is more expensive than all the other arts, but also seems like a fun, cool, practical art. Also, it takes FOREVER to move up, which might be a drawback for such a young person like me. There are so few belts, and the instructor told me that it took him four years to move up from purple to brown belt! This is a very aggressive art, so I wouldn't have to alter my instincts as I would in tae kwon do.

Thanks for your input.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impracticle, it depends on the person...

If you are flexible and fast anything is possible.

If you short and squatty then I would also suggest doing grappling.

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not be so concerned with moving up in rank. The whole point is to gain knowledge. Try watching a few classes and see which looks best for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely leaning towards judo

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, the Judo and Jiu Jutsu both look good. Normally I'd say definitely go for the BJJ, but if the Judo instructor does lean towards the realism street fighting, then that makes it a lot more difficult to decide. A long time in advancing in ranks is probably good, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-18 13:21, Jack wrote:
Hmmm, the Judo and Jiu Jutsu both look good. Normally I'd say definitely go for the BJJ, but if the Judo instructor does lean towards the realism street fighting, then that makes it a lot more difficult to decide. A long time in advancing in ranks is probably good, too.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is my first choice, but the teacher isn't even a black belt - I feel very skeptical about that, even if he has been training for a very long time and has a black belt in judo also. I mean, my TKD instructor is a 5th dan black belt and HE is looked down upon in the TKD circles...a brown belt with his own school? But the dojo wins a lot of tournaments and Royler Gracie comes in to do the seminars a lot...

I just don't know about this one!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I were in your situation with healthy joints I would go with the judo. But then right now my opinion might be held in a bit of suspicion after the female issue I started.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the event you have any close, keep Hapkido and Kuk Sool Won in mind as well. Both Korean arts, and could compliment your TKD as well.

However, while I have never taken TKD, I thought higher levels (of some TKD styles) did incorporate some grappling techniques. The TKDers will have to confirm.

My only problem with BJJ, is that it seems (don't know it for a fact, just what I see) to try and ALWAYS take the fight to the ground AND finish it on the ground. The likelyhood of my having to combat a BJJ expert (gone bad) is pretty darn slim. So, my personal preference is to be able to counter someone taking me to the ground, so I can get back up. KSW gives me enough ground fighting to counter the average ground fighter, and either finish him on the ground, or get rid of him so I can get back up. That's all I want, or need in my opinion. But, that may be just me.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my school, we do a tiny, miniscule amount of grappling. It's because a lot of the younger kids have trouble remembering the guard, the mount - very, very basic and elementary things, and must be taught them 836759 times, so we never do learn much new.

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that Hapkido is a good fit with TKD. The judo is good as well. The thing with Hapkido is this. The three styles that you mentioned as being your choices are all represented in Hapkido. Hapkido uses the jointlock aspect of Aikido since both arts spawned from Diato Ryu Aiki Jujitsu. Hapkido also uses the circular principal to set up throws such as in Judo. And depending on who you train Hapkido from you may train ground fighting from BJJ. Personally the school that I train at, some of our instructors integrate ground techniques with our throws and takedowns. We train our ground techniques every class. Good luck in your decision.

The Hand is quicker than the eye!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: