Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, JKD should be a mindset rather than a style. For something to be a style it has to have set techniques and perameters. Lee cared not for these things.

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that JKD was designed to be a concept. It was intended to be Mix Martial Arts.

Techniques taught were supposed to only create a base to which practicioners would continuously add techniques from other styles depending on their individual needs.

I think Bruce even shut down his schools several times when he was frustrated that people tend to be a little stupid and sheepish, refusing to think for themselves.

Lazy Scholar
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: did wushu / aikido , doing JKD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True refinement seeks simplicity

== Bruce Lee (at least, it's attributed to him)

accumulation leads to ornamentation.

accumulation is only half way cultivation.

(From the Tao of JKD)

Daily Decrease.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its both a style and a mindset. The philosophy was essentially Bruce Lee's marketing tool to promote himself at a time where karate dominated. A lot of the stuff he talked about he actually plagiarised from others especially in the Tao, not so much in the newer commentaries book.

This has forever been an argument, but what I do know is that there were tools just like any other art. Punches, Kicks etc. He taught everyone differently.

For me I no longer care if what I do is JKD, I actually study more than JKD. Its the idea of what your doing rather than the name as such.

Lazy Scholar
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: did wushu / aikido , doing JKD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay wrote:
Its both a style and a mindset. The philosophy was essentially Bruce Lee's marketing tool to promote himself at a time where karate dominated. A lot of the stuff he talked about he actually plagiarised from others especially in the Tao, not so much in the newer commentaries book.

This has forever been an argument, but what I do know is that there were tools just like any other art. Punches, Kicks etc. He taught everyone differently.

For me I no longer care if what I do is JKD, I actually study more than JKD. Its the idea of what your doing rather than the name as such.

Thank you! I don't know if you've done JKD yourself, at one point. But I'm taking on a similar mindset.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazy Scholar wrote:
Jay wrote:

Thank you! I don't know if you've done JKD yourself, at one point. But I'm taking on a similar mindset.

I do indeed

BladeSmartNY
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kali, JKD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKD has been so watered down by poor instructors that nobody here can even explain it.

JKD is Bruce Lee's derivation of Wing Chun trapping. He took specific techniques that could be combined with boxing to trap your opponent. The key principle is that you keep your opponent backing up with your attacks.

Athena
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tai chi, and my own strange mix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Every time someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Indeed XD

To say that it is a style is to say that it has specific rules and forms that absolutely must be adhered to- but that's exactly what he was trying to be rid of.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.
Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

tsd1592
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way of the intercepting fist. The name explanes its self. Also to many people argue about the style. When he said my style is no style. He wanted us to take what works for us and get rid of what does not. No set movement punches or kicks. He wanted us to find are own way.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things is with JKD is that you can't define it as such. In order to understand where Bruce was coming from you need to look into Taoism, Zen and Krishnamurti. Most people approach it with a western mindset as in seeing things in black and white.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: